Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Tried to renew CCW permit...FAIL!!!

One of the first things I did after I turned 21 was ran up to the court house in WB and got my CCW license. This was 5 years ago. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

5 years later I pull up the application online to renew it. I fill it out, get the money order, leave work early and race up to WB court house 1 hour away to be there at least 30 min before close. Just like their instructions say on the web site.

WHAT A BUST!!! I dont' even get through the metal detectors when the security guard says, "O...are you here for a gun permit? Their not taking anymore today" WHAT!?!?

He wasn't sure why so I went to talk to Sheriff myself. As I round the corner, there was 4 people sitting on the bench outside the office. They all inform me that they are there for concealed carry permits. One of the guys tells me he signed the board this morning and came back in the afternoon to wait. The other ones said they been there for 4 hours waiting.

So I knocked on the Sheriffs door. He tells me that there has been such an inrush of applications, there is no more "In-and-Out" service. (Like I did when I was 21). The only advice he had, get there first thing in the morning. If there is alot of applications, they will stop accepting people sometimes after lunch, just so they can get all the apps processed before 5pm (When he stops getting paid (verbatim by the way)). "What an absolute inconvenience," is what I told the Sheriff. In no way ignorant, I was being honest. And he completely understood.

Alright...enough of me bickering. Do you guys have any ideas to help me renew my license. It sounds like I would have to take a day off of work and sit in the court house all day. Is this what I will have to do???

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Tried to renew CCW permit...FAIL!!!

You were already talking with the best person to ask. We can't really tell you what your sheriff is going to do. While you were there, you should have asked if there was something you could do, like dropping off the application and having the office call when it's ready.

(Lackawanna County)

Wow!! I'm impressed that you waited 6 years from joining the forum to make your first post.

I have question. Does Luzerne county take the picture for you, or do you have to provide the picture? Does any county still require the applicant to provide a "passport" photo? If so, that might preclude just dropping off the application and asking the sheriff to add it to the next day's cue.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Wow!! I'm impressed that you waited 6 years from joining the forum to make your first post.

I have question. Does Luzerne county take the picture for you, or do you have to provide the picture? Does any county still require the applicant to provide a "passport" photo? If so, that might preclude just dropping off the application and asking the sheriff to add it to the next day's cue.
    All counties are now supposed to take your photo for the license as it is captured into the system.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I actually forgot I was a member. I googled Luzerne county CCW Forum and this came up. Tried to register...already a member. LOL

(Luzerne County)

They do take your photo like at the drivers license center. You get a permit card, that is similar to a drivers license.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
    I actually forgot I was a member. I googled Luzerne county CCW Forum and this came up. Tried to register...already a member. LOL
    I find it incredible how many Google searches of firearm related topics bring up links to threads on this forum.

(Luzerne County)

Cheez... I was there about 3 weeks ago to renew mine, signed in, waited 15 minutes to get in, another 10 inside and walked out with my renewal.... Cant figure that one out ..... Never had to wait longer than 30 minutes... Original, last renewal and now this one...

(Luzerne County)

I got my permit last week and I did have to wait for about an hour and a half before I got called in for my 10 minute process... 30 minutes of that was for the lunch break.

The guy was professional, but obviously disgruntled. I asked if they rotated the duty, and he said he has been doing it for 3 months. It strikes me as a crap job for someone who worked to become an LEO, so I can understand being unenthusiastic.

I recently had my drivers license renewed, and the clerk who took my picture did basically the same tasks, the only difference is that she wasn't carrying a firearm or badge, and didn't go through an academy.

(Luzerne County)

Nothing is simply anymore ....especially at the court house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast