I have an older (1970s) S&W Model 1000 Semi-Auto 20 gauge that I haven't fired for awhile. Intending to shoot this weekend I wanted to give the gun a good once over before heading out. After making sure the shotgun was safe, I began a simple field strip for a quick lube and wipe down. What I found next was absolutely the worst thing I have ever seen happen to a gun other than from total abuse and neglect, neither of which I will tolerate. The gas piston shock absorber had completely broken down and turned into a sticky, black tar-like, oozy mess that rendered the gas mechanism inoperable. And I mean mess. This little "shock absorber" is just a flat O-ring washer. I'm guessing the material broke down from exposure to petroleum based cleaner and lube. Nowhere, NOWHERE did S&W specify dry lube or anything other than normal cleaning and lubrication products. Has this happened to anyone else ? I hope not, but if so, how did you clean up the mess and are there any after market replacement parts that would prevent this from happening again ?