Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Question Wyoming County Courthouse Firearm Check Refusal

My wife and I have moved to Wyoming county from Luzerne. We both received our LTCFs from Luzerne county. My 22 year old son decided it was time for him to get his LTCF. Since we now live in Wyoming county we headed off to the courthouse. I debated about carrying and checking my firearm, due to a lack of info and hearing some of the stories here about other courthouses, I decided not to check my firearm, I am REALLY glad I didn't.

At the court house there is a typical private security guard. He is rather "intrigued" by my son, who happens to be 6 4' and black. Yes, he is adopted. I ask him where the sheriffs office is and he brightens up, changes tone and sends us on our way.

The process is crazy smooth, no line and the ladies behind the counter were awesome!

As we are walking out the security guard asks my son if he got his LTCF. We start chatting as he is now much more talkative. I tell him I am not carrying but if I was what is the procedure to check my firearm. He gets a high and mighty tone and tells me that I cannot check my firearm, in fact I cannot bring in any weapon not even a knife into the building. I respond that it is required by law to provide lockers to check my firearm. The lockers were less that 5 feet from where he was standing btw. He says that is not allowed, the lockers are only for LEOs and that I will get arrested if I bring a gun in here. He says he can't even carry but is going through training so he can wear his 1911. I ignore thecomment and respond with since this is a courthouse and the building has a sheriffs office they are required to provide lockers. He again states that I cannot carry a firearm into the building.

Seeing that this going no where, I thank him for his time and leave. Judging from the guys tone and attitude I am really glad I did not attempt to check my firearm, no clue how that would have gone down but it would not have been fun.

So where do I go from here, call the sheriffs office?

Thanks
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    ...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Wyoming County Courthouse Firearm Check Refusal

Yup, call the sheriff directly and ask him why his employees are so poorly trained.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Yup, call the sheriff directly and ask him why his employees are so poorly trained.
    This^^^^^^ and remind him that those poorly trained employees are going to cost the taxpayers a good chunk of change if they don't change their attitude too!

(Montgomery County)

Not sure how it goes in Wyoming County but in Montgomery, the Sheriff's office shares a building with the courthouse and State Police barracks. Because of how the building is set up (It's some relic from the 19th century), it's impossible to access the Sheriff's office without having access to the courtrooms and a number of holding cells. They make it very clear that carrying guns/knives/etc... is not permitted due to the inability to restrict access to the different parts of the building. I'm not sure how legally valid that explanation is, but it certainly doesn't make me feel too great to know that I can't carry there, especially in downtown Norristown.
    FNS40S&W

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNS40S&W View Post
    Not sure how it goes in Wyoming County but in Montgomery, the Sheriff's office shares a building with the courthouse and State Police barracks. Because of how the building is set up (It's some relic from the 19th century), it's impossible to access the Sheriff's office without having access to the courtrooms and a number of holding cells. They make it very clear that carrying guns/knives/etc... is not permitted due to the inability to restrict access to the different parts of the building. I'm not sure how legally valid that explanation is, but it certainly doesn't make me feel too great to know that I can't carry there, especially in downtown Norristown.
    I choose to stay out of Norristown. After working there for a while I transferred to Bensalem. I switched my route from Trenton (ugh) to Bristol, and it is like a night and day change. Bristol is still a pretty interesting place.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNS40S&W View Post
    Similar to Lancaster County but they have no problem checking firearms. Don't accept BS excuses.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    I choose to stay out of Norristown. After working there for a while I transferred to Bensalem. I switched my route from Trenton (ugh) to Bristol, and it is like a night and day change. Bristol is still a pretty interesting place.
    If I could, believe me I would, I work at a store in Norristown where the only other nearby place to my apartment to transfer to would be Coatesville. I think I'll take the evil I know over the unknown evil, all things considered. Either way, I am glad to be able to carry in my car with a LTCF on my commute.
    FNS40S&W

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    Similar to Lancaster County but they have no problem checking firearms. Don't accept BS excuses.
    I'm not one to be easily intimidated but the Sheriff was pretty unreceptive to my objections about it and somehow I don't think forcing the issue with the security guards is a great way to handle it. As for now, business in the courthouse usually starts with me *very* visibly disarming out front (locking the gun with trigger guard and strong box riveted to the floor of my trunk) and walking in wearing an empty holster. I've gotten a couple questions, but there's nothing they can do about it. There's nothing illegal about wearing a concealed holster in a courthouse.
    FNS40S&W

Some of you guys need to stop letting these illegal activities go unchecked. This is how all our rights get taken away. By letting this become the "norm".

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Preble Pro View Post
    Some of you guys need to stop letting these illegal activities go unchecked. This is how all our rights get taken away. By letting this become the "norm".
    That is why I posted about my experience
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    ...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast