Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: ACT 235 certification

Insurance can only cover if there is a diagnosis, which would preclude you from getting a passing psych eval. One of my friends is a Psychologist that does hundreds of MMPIs a year for Act 120 and 235.

The turnaround time can be as quick as three weeks if you get the application and evaluations done in the same week. Usually it takes four to six weeks. The longest part of it is getting clearance from the FBI on the fingerprints. You can check the progress by going to the Lethal Weapons site and clicking Online Services then on Status Inquiry, then input the last four of your SS# and last name.
    Those who dare.

Cool thanx fellas

(Montgomery County)

What kind of money can a guard make who goes thru this? Just wondering.

(Northampton County)

I am driving an armored truck part time can't get full time $10.00 hr. I have been told some other companies start at $11 or 12 per hr. It is not a very high paying profession.

(Northampton County)

So the non-certified only certifies you in baton, but nothing else? There is a position that i am considering, and while it didnt say it in the add, the supervisor also stated that pepper spray I think he stated would be part of the required carry. I am almost sure of that, so how would I get certified in that?

Also, in PA since you mentioned it in one of your quotes, for PA what you qualify on caliber wise, is that what you need to carry for employment purposes? I have heard that they do not qualify the actually weapon, but just the caliber you qualify with, is that right?

One more question, in your humble opinion, for employment with ACT 235, is there a recommended caliber that should be used or to qualify with?

Thanks for all of your help you guys have been great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    Anything you carry on duty that will be used against another person must have a record of training with a proper curriculum i.e. a recognized certification course.

The reason for certification is to ensure that one has the understanding of use of force, the item itself, and its deployment. You will have to articulate this in court or in front of a certification council if under review.

I teach through a few States and Uncle Sam, but if you do not want the advice, it's on you.

No, I do not know of any LEOs in PA or any other State that carry a blackjack.

Act 235 Section 3 describes the Lethal Weapons, including batons. The baton description at the time in 1974 was a 26" wood baton with a handle. The description of the baton is given to each Director of every licensed Act 235 School. Of course the Act needs to be updated. One thing that is interesting is that some schools charge more for qualifying with a semi auto pistol instead of a revolver, but it's only a ploy to make more money. The Act describes "handgun", not what type. Of course your score sheet must list either a revolver or semi auto, but does not mean you have to qualify with any specific type for the qualification. It is up to the agency one works for to qualify with a specific handgun. Delaware is different in that you must shoot the State course with whatever firearm(s) you will carry, which the serial #, make, model, and caliber is recorded on the qual sheet and must be on the agency's weapon log. Just FYI in case anyone is interested in DE.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I am driving an armored truck part time can't get full time $10.00 hr. I have been told some other companies start at $11 or 12 per hr. It is not a very high paying profession.
    I'm surprised at that. They got to have a hard time finding drivers at that rate. We're paying drivers $19.50 to 20.50 per hour plus benefits and have a hard time finding good ones. Of course the job is harder because it is in the moving and storage industry.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebluevette View Post
    I'm surprised at that. They got to have a hard time finding drivers at that rate. We're paying drivers $19.50 to 20.50 per hour plus benefits and have a hard time finding good ones. Of course the job is harder because it is in the moving and storage industry.
    What is the moving and storage that you are talking about?

President Ronald Reagan

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bradjc72 View Post
    What is the moving and storage that you are talking about?
    private message sent.

(Philadelphia County)

The Lethal Weapon Certification "F" card is for firearms and the "L" card is considered unarmed but does include baton. The difference is that for the L rating, you do not go through the firearms portion of the class or could not pass the firearms portion and have been given the option to get the L card and then may do an upgrade for the F card later.

If you want to carry a baton or firearm or both and work for a private employer, you must hold an active Act 235 Lethal Weapons certification. Uncertified Security Officers may not carry either of those as they are considered lethal weapons.

Many Act 235 Certified Agents make anywhere from $12-$18 an hour. Some small gigs may pay $25-$30 an hour according to some. If you do not have law enforcement or a corrections background, you generally will not be able to compete for the higher paying jobs. There is a severe training gap there and you should get more training including additional handcuffing, defensive tactics, OC, interpersonal communications, firearms, use of force, report writing, first aid/CPR/AED, EVOC, and many more that I could list for an hour.

I hope to be able to provide advanced training for cheap soon, as my regular job is rather taxing as well as the other projects I am working on. I hope to get instructor privileges at some local ranges around Philly indoor and outdoor. The more the students, the lower the cost.
    Last edited by Pointman73; November 17th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Those who dare.

(Northampton County)

Pointman,

So what you are saying is that the firearm certification that i will be going for is ONLY firearms, and does not pertain to baton, spray, or anything else correct?

If I would want or need baton, spray (whatever it is officially called) and handcuffing, "officially" I would have to go for the other ACT 235 with no firearms is that correct in my thought?

If that is not correct, is there other basic certifications that are not ACT 235 that will certify me in these other areas?

President Ronald Reagan

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast