Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: ACT 235 certification

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    Well,

I am in the hunt for another job......

AG
    Screw that place, I was there yesterday and vow to never go there again. Couldn't believe how ghetto its become. I personally witnessed 2 arguments/fights, and the worst part is they had kids with them. So much for a family environment.
    Bazinga

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    Well,

I am in the hunt for another job, since my employer has informed us that first year guards are not allowed to carry our firearms anymore due to a corporate change in policy.

After carrying for over a month and all the money I spent to get my 235 and to buy all of my duty gear and now they give us this crap .

So, can anyone recommend reputable companies in the Lehigh Valley that are hiring armed security guards?

Any leads would be appreciated.

AG
    Does this policy only apply to those who would be working their first year as an armed officer?
    I am wondering if they would tell me, a soon to be college graduate with four (4) years experience of armed work, would not be allowed to carry? I am very curious.
    As far as companies go, have you looked into Wackenhut? They will more than likely have the most armed sites in your area. I also believe Vector Security Patrol has a few sites in your area. If you have any specific questions about these companies, please PM me.
    -chris

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MSOfin View Post
    Does this policy only apply to those who would be working their first year as an armed officer?
    I am wondering if they would tell me, a soon to be college graduate with four (4) years experience of armed work, would not be allowed to carry? I am very curious.
    As far as companies go, have you looked into Wackenhut? They will more than likely have the most armed sites in your area. I also believe Vector Security Patrol has a few sites in your area. If you have any specific questions about these companies, please PM me.
    -chris
    This applies to ALL first year certified guards. There's guys who have military training, guys who have several years of armed guard experience, guys who are bail bondsman and none of us are allowed to carry since it's our first year. This is something that corporate just put out a week ago, after I had been carrying for a month and a half.

I talked to a Wackenhut guard at my last job and she hooked me up with the corporate office, but they did not have any armed positions in my area.

After all the money I spent to get the 235 cert and all the money I spent to get my duty gear, they give us this crap. Several guards have quit over this and the rest are all looking for work elsewhere.

Since it seems that alot of members here go this "park", If anyone goes to the "park" and ever see's a 6 ft tall chunky hispanic wearing black arm bands on both arms, stop me and say hi. Just mention PAFOA so I don't mace you and beat you with my baton .

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    The firearms qualification is 30 rounds.
    12 @7yds
    12@15yds
    6@25yds
    That seems like it wouldn't be that bad. I have to go to this training in July.

(Greene County)

I have a question i have a Towing and Repossession bis with some recent events i would feel much more comfortable caring a handgun and a knife. would i need to have the act 235 certification

(Lebanon County)

I found this on the site:

Carrying a firearm for the purpose of employment, such as an armored car driver, armed security and other similar jobs is regulated completely separate from regular concealed carry. In fact having a concealed carry permit does not allow you to carry a firearm for employment purposes and having passed ACT235 does not allow you to carry a firearm while not working.

For more information on carrying a firearm for the purpose of employment and receiving your ACT235 qualification we highly recommend you visit the Pennsylvania Lethal Weapons Training Program Website
    Having a LTFC doesn't allow you to carry at work??? How does that make sense.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by StraussiE WousiE View Post
    I found this on the site:

Having a LTFC doesn't allow you to carry at work??? How does that make sense.
    No, Act 235 allows you to carry on a job that you are being paid to carry as a part of said job. It has no influence on the legality of carry on a job for which the job has no carry requirements.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by coat4gun View Post
    No, Act 235 allows you to carry on a job that you are being paid to carry as a part of said job. It has no influence on the legality of carry on a job for which the job has no carry requirements.
    I agree, it sounds like you are in the Towing and Repo biz, not the gun carrying biz. The only issue would be if your employer has a policy against carrying. Since it sounds like you are the owner, then it should be a non issue.

Be safe (and don't act like those goofballs on TV).

Scott

(Greene County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I agree, it sounds like you are in the Towing and Repo biz, not the gun carrying biz. The only issue would be if your employer has a policy against carrying. Since it sounds like you are the owner, then it should be a non issue.

Be safe (and don't act like those goofballs on TV).

Scott
    yep i own the bis its just me
    most of the episodes on those tv shows are BS. Repossessing "most" cars with with newer equipment takes 5-10 seconds and i will never get out of the truck a long repo can take up to 3 min.

thanks for the info guys

(Franklin County)

I know its already been answered elsewhere more than likely, i apologize. I would like to know the details of how to apply for the act 235. I have the applications and I have the doctors on standby, I need to know what the steps are and when they each need to be initiated. I have spent more than a year saving up the 1000 dollars needed for this and cannot afford to have any portion screwed away because of beaurecratic bs. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the psp site has nothing worth noting on the process. None of the 3 websites I have found has the information in order, it is all jumbled together and makes it sound like you have to have everything done before hand.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast