Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: ACT 235 certification

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    I currently work for an "amusement park" as an armed guard in the Lehigh Valley, but will be looking for other work come September due to the position being "seasonal". I like what I do and I am looking to continue in this field.

AG
    I was surprised also when I saw that security carried there. You don't see that at Six Flags. Do they hire part timers for that position?
    Bazinga

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    I was surprised also when I saw that security carried there. You don't see that at Six Flags. Do they hire part timers for that position?
    Yes they do. Go to the website and put in an application. After 2-3 days, call them up and talk to someone in human resource about your app and see if you can get scheduled for an interview. They have been conducting interviews all this week and the park opens up full time on the week of Memorial Day and many of the the guards work a full time job and work there part time.

I should be going full time starting the week of Memorial Day.

It is seasonal though and the season ends by Halloween.

Let me know how it goes.

AG

(Pike County)

Just as a FYI for you guys, it's probably to far for you, but the community I live in has gone 235 and is looking for Public Safety Officers. It's in Bushkill, southern Pike county. I believe that they have one FT and 1 PT opening. These will be year round, not seasonal, although the PT will get more hours in the summer. I am on the Public Safety committee. PM me for info if you wish.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    Just as a FYI for you guys, it's probably to far for you, but the community I live in has gone 235 and is looking for Public Safety Officers. It's in Bushkill, southern Pike county. I believe that they have one FT and 1 PT opening. These will be year round, not seasonal, although the PT will get more hours in the summer. I am on the Public Safety committee. PM me for info if you wish.

I would hop on someting like that if I was closer to that area.

I am hoping that my current employer will keep me on full time after the season is over, but I won't find out until October.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MSOfin View Post
    Pete, I am Act 235 Certified, almost for four years. As far as weapon certification goes, it is based on ammunition size, not the specific weapon make. For example, I qualified on a Ruger P-90, a .45 semi automatic. If I like I can carry any brand firearm as long as it is a .45. If I wanted to carry a 9mm as a back up weapon, I would need to also qualify on that piece.
    Shot guns are also covered in the Act 235 curriculum. Upon successful completion of the course you will be certified in both your firearm and shot gun. Please note that many security companies prohibit the use of a shot gun on duty, exposure to this weapon may be very limited. I strongly encourage you to inform your instructor that you will be using shot guns in your line of work. There should be no issue in you getting the extra education you need to properly use this weapon.

I hope that helps.
    -chris
    When I went through (Pistol People in Bucks County) it was pointed out that there is no record on the certification that says WHAT I qualified with... it just has an "F". They were confident that there was no legal requirement to qualify with the model/caliber you would carry... just that you qualified. We also shot a 50-roud qualifing course (I think). We were told that the various "you must qualify with X" stories were really just schemes from some of the schools to get people to pay extra money to qualify on different weapons.

My former employer put on their own qualification course for the Act 235 officers, so that the company had records that everyone met a minimum proficincy with the issued Glock 23's.

(Butler County)

I went through the Act 235 with Shield about a year ago. The instructors were great and let me qualify with my 1911 and Glock 23. According to what I read and discussed with the folks in Harrisburg, it isn't mandatory though they do recommend it.
    From a liability standpoint it does make sense but only if they are recording the serial numbers etc.
    The PRNJ did this when we qualified for our CCW. We could only carry what we qualified with and we shot the FBI 25 yard combat course three times in addition to a psych and written exams.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by yelruh55 View Post
    When I went through (Pistol People in Bucks County) it was pointed out that there is no record on the certification that says WHAT I qualified with... it just has an "F". They were confident that there was no legal requirement to qualify with the model/caliber you would carry... just that you qualified. We also shot a 50-roud qualifing course (I think). We were told that the various "you must qualify with X" stories were really just schemes from some of the schools to get people to pay extra money to qualify on different weapons.

My former employer put on their own qualification course for the Act 235 officers, so that the company had records that everyone met a minimum proficincy with the issued Glock 23's.
    When I went through the training the instructors recorded my firearm make, model, and serial number. This was done for the whole class.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MSOfin View Post
    When I went through the training the instructors recorded my firearm make, model, and serial number. This was done for the whole class.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that all 235 classes are supposed to do that.

The class I went through did the same thing. But if you look at you 235 card, that info is not listed. Hell, I don't even think that Harrisburg gets that info, all they get is your grades for the pistol quals and the written test grades, school name and instructor info (I could be wrong though). All that other info is kept at the school where you took the class.

I see it like this....

If it WAS mandatory to carry what you qualify with, they would or should have printed the firearm info that you qualified with on the 235 card, like that anyone who needs to see your card would know what firearm you should or should not be carrying.

(Lehigh County)

Well,

I am in the hunt for another job, since my employer has informed us that first year guards are not allowed to carry our firearms anymore due to a corporate change in policy.

After carrying for over a month and all the money I spent to get my 235 and to buy all of my duty gear and now they give us this crap .

So, can anyone recommend reputable companies in the Lehigh Valley that are hiring armed security guards?

Any leads would be appreciated.

AG

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post
    Well,

I am in the hunt for another job, since my employer has informed us that first year guards are not allowed to carry our firearms anymore due to a corporate change in policy.

After carrying for over a month and all the money I spent to get my 235 and to buy all of my duty gear and now they give us this crap .

AG
    Sorry to hear that! Good Luck on the search.
    Just another corporate CYA move that makes no sense. After all, what do they think the ACT 235 means!!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast