Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: ACT 235 certification

Quote Originally Posted by yetidave View Post
    I know where you work. I was surprised to see you guys carrying when we were there last weekend. But I guess if guards should be carrying anywhere, it's there. I assume you guys deal with a lot of b.s. from the downtown A-town crowd.
    This is my first year there, but I have heard alot of the b.s. that goes on is is not just from the A-town crowd, but the "thugs and gangsta's" from out of town (NY, NJ and surrounding area's).

We have regular, unarmed security there was well, but we do deal with alot of b.s.

We also do money pick ups through out the park and alot of cash gets picked up/dropped off.

This job entails more than the usual security gig. We actually police the park. We can handcuff and detain people depending on the situation. We deal with SWPD ALOT.

As far as the ACT 235 thing goes, I would try a community college, that will probably be the cheapest way to go.
    Last edited by xx AG xx; May 12th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

I have had my 235 for 2 years now and i like doing armed security. I took my class at SPAG. I did not know amusement parks had armed guards. i know a few guys looking for work.
    It is better to have and not need then to need and not have. ROCK GLOCK!

(Chester County)

How was the class @ SPAG? I'm taking it there as well and wondered how good of a job they do.

(Philadelphia County)

The guy that teaches it there is Mike Hall. He is very good. works with you and give more than enough information. I loved the class.
    It is better to have and not need then to need and not have. ROCK GLOCK!

(Lehigh County)

way back in the day, almost 9 years ago, now, I got PA Act 120, and worked part time for a smaller dept. I also drove armored car for Dunbar. they would not let me carry a firearm on the job because I didn't have the Act 235.

It didn't really bother me, because as the driver, I got to stay in AC when it was hot, heat when it was cold, and dry when it was raining. I didn't have to jump in and out of the truck all day (hence the designation "Hopper" for the pick-up guard), and they only paid them $1.00/hr more.

but, totally weak about not being able to carry a defensive firearm while transporting a crap load of cash.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

More 235 questions-

I am a security supervisor for a company that is going 235. I have all my ducks in a row concerning the physical and psychological exams, the psp application etc. Now for the school.

Some people are telling me the 235 is only good for the weapon you schooled on. The same people tell me almost all schools train you on revolvers. I plan on using an automatic. Can you use a gun other than the one you certified on? Also, we will be carrying shotguns on some details. Are shotguns covered normally under the act 235?

Thanks.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghPete View Post
    More 235 questions-

I am a security supervisor for a company that is going 235. I have all my ducks in a row concerning the physical and psychological exams, the psp application etc. Now for the school.

Some people are telling me the 235 is only good for the weapon you schooled on. The same people tell me almost all schools train you on revolvers. I plan on using an automatic. Can you use a gun other than the one you certified on? Also, we will be carrying shotguns on some details. Are shotguns covered normally under the act 235?

Thanks.
    The make and model of your firearm is recorded by the Instructors. However, I have never seen anything that states it has to be only that weapon that is carried. I have heard all the misinformed urban legends about having to use the specific firearm but nothing official. I have my own Agency, so I get to pick which firearms my personnel are permitted to carry.

The course does have shotgun familiarization in the curriculum. No qualification, just brief instruction then shooting.

Be safe.

Scott

(Lehigh County)

More 235 questions-

Thanks.

I qualified with my Glock, but I can use whatever I like as long as it's allowed through the company I work for. (and that's pretty much anything from 9mm and up and also .357 revolvers as well).

You can use whatever your comfortable with and it does not have to be the gun you qualified with.
    Last edited by xx AG xx; May 14th, 2008 at 11:24 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    way back in the day, almost 9 years ago, now, I got PA Act 120, and worked part time for a smaller dept. I also drove armored car for Dunbar. they would not let me carry a firearm on the job because I didn't have the Act 235.

It didn't really bother me, because as the driver, I got to stay in AC when it was hot, heat when it was cold, and dry when it was raining. I didn't have to jump in and out of the truck all day (hence the designation "Hopper" for the pick-up guard), and they only paid them $1.00/hr more.

but, totally weak about not being able to carry a defensive firearm while transporting a crap load of cash.
    I'm curious why you didn't get your waiver?

(Monroe County)

More 235 questions-

Thanks.
    Pete, I am Act 235 Certified, almost for four years. As far as weapon certification goes, it is based on ammunition size, not the specific weapon make. For example, I qualified on a Ruger P-90, a .45 semi automatic. If I like I can carry any brand firearm as long as it is a .45. If I wanted to carry a 9mm as a back up weapon, I would need to also qualify on that piece.
    Shot guns are also covered in the Act 235 curriculum. Upon successful completion of the course you will be certified in both your firearm and shot gun. Please note that many security companies prohibit the use of a shot gun on duty, exposure to this weapon may be very limited. I strongly encourage you to inform your instructor that you will be using shot guns in your line of work. There should be no issue in you getting the extra education you need to properly use this weapon.

I hope that helps.
    -chris

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast