Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New to the board and to firearms

I have decided I want I get a LTC in Philadelphia. I don't foresee any problems with the license, I have no criminal record, no parking tickets etc. I do however live in a building that has a school on either side of it. Will this give me any problems in terms of carrying legally? I'm most assuredly within 1000 feet of the school, but after having two bikes stolen and seeing numerous fights break out in the vicinity of the school, I would really like to conceal and carry.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: New to the board and to firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Pes142 View Post
    I have decided I want I get a LTC in Philadelphia. I don't foresee any problems with the license, I have no criminal record, no parking tickets etc. I do however live in a building that has a school on either side of it. Will this give me any problems in terms of carrying legally? I'm most assuredly within 1000 feet of the school, but after having two bikes stolen and seeing numerous fights break out in the vicinity of the school, I would really like to conceal and carry.

The 1000ft radius in the gun free school zone does not apply to private property not owned by the school so you are fine. Since you are in Philly you definetly want to apply for your LTCF as soon as possibel if you are considering carrying as they take quite a long time to issue even with a squeaky clean record.

Since you said you are new to firearms you might want to apply for liscence right now and then start shopping for a firearm. When you find what you want take a training course or two in preperation for getting your liscence so you are rady to carry from day one.

(Chester County)

Default Re: New to the board and to firearms

Yes get your LTCF asap. It makes transporting firearms a lot easier, plus it obviously allows legal concealed carry.

I agree with getting some instruction on the legal issues of self defense as well as safely handing, and shooting a handgun. Rent a few guns before you buy to see what you actually like. There are many excellent choices out there for firearms, so don't limit yourself to what the police carry, or what gun store salesmen push.