Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Pacer Service and LTC denial?

Anyone ever use this to run a check on themselves?

I got a LTC denial from the Sheriff in York, County that was unspecified. I contested it under the assumption it was my Jr (who served some time) when I filled out form SP 4-197.

In the notes section I added that I am not a Jr ( I assumed it was my Son ) and now must go get finger printed now.

Really, I have no idea what's up. If I did something it's suppressed been married almost 40 years.

Thought about registering for Pacer and run a search on myself for the alleged State associated with my denial. Thoughts?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Pacer Service and LTC denial?

Quote Originally Posted by treysonfan View Post
    Anyone ever use this to run a check on themselves?

I got a LTC denial from the Sheriff in York, County that was unspecified. I contested it under the assumption it was my Jr (who served some time) when I filled out form SP 4-197.

In the notes section I added that I am not a Jr ( I assumed it was my Son ) and now must go get finger printed now.

Really, I have no idea what's up. If I did something it's suppressed been married almost 40 years.

Thought about registering for Pacer and run a search on myself for the alleged State associated with my denial. Thoughts?
    State law requires the sheriff to specify (in writing, via certified mail) the reason for the denial. Contact him or her and ask what it was.

I imagine you received a denial letter. What did it say?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

It read ....was denied (or classified as undetermined ) by Pennsylvania State Police. And the appeal process to PICS unit. Since the Sheriff provided the challenge form below it never occurred to me to ask them.

Filed the SP-4-197 and it was returned saying it was placed in an "Undetermined Status" due to the identification of arrest records in a previous State that may or not be associated with me. In short, I must go to a local State Police barracks and get fingerprinted.

So,I called the PICS unit and was told the same thing as the letter. Fingerprints to assist them in the identification process. The PICS legal assistant did not want to say or tell me anything on the phone.

In the meantime will try the Pacer records and see.

(Jefferson County)

I ran it on myself one awhile back.

I wanted to see if an old PA DUI showed up. PACER didn't show it, but the online dockets still show it.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 17th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

It read ....was denied (or classified as undetermined ) by Pennsylvania State Police. And the appeal process to PICS unit. Since the Sheriff provided the challenge form below it never occurred to me to ask them.

Filed the SP-4-197 and it was returned saying it was placed in an "Undetermined Status" due to the identification of arrest records in a previous State that may or not be associated with me. In short, I must go to a local State Police barracks and get fingerprinted.

So,I called the PICS unit and was told the same thing as the letter. Fingerprints to assist them in the identification process. The PICS legal assistant did not want to say or tell me anything on the phone.

In the meantime will try the Pacer records and see.
    Last time I looked, PACER didn't show issues from other states.

I have a "blotch" in Florida that did not show up in PACER.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Dead men tell no tales, witnesses get "blotchy"

(Monroe County)

Filed the SP-4-197 and it was returned saying it was placed in an "Undetermined Status" due to the identification of arrest records in a previous State that may or not be associated with me. In short, I must go to a local State Police barracks and get fingerprinted. ...
    Get finger printed and get over it. PICS is flawed, they know it but won't admit it or do anything to fix it.

When they clear you, they'll send you a nice form letter with a case number on it. From then on, you will need to provide it for firearms purchase, LTCF, background checks for employment ... to name just a few. I made copies and kept several in my glove compartment ... just in case I came across a good deal.

Yea, it sucks. But from now on, when it comes to PICS, you are guilty until proven innocent. If you haven't figured it out ... yea, been through the BS.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

Unhappy Re: Pacer Service and LTC denial?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    Get finger printed and get over it. PICS is flawed, they know it but won't admit it or do anything to fix it.

When they clear you, they'll send you a nice form letter with a case number on it. From then on, you will need to provide it for firearms purchase, LTCF, background checks for employment ... to name just a few. I made copies and kept several in my glove compartment ... just in case I came across a good deal.

Yea, it sucks. But from now on, when it comes to PICS, you are guilty until proven innocent. If you haven't figured it out ... yea, been through the BS.
    Agreed!

Searched PACER and nothing showed in "my name" so it must be a mix-up with a Jr etc. I've held Securities licenses (fingerprinted twice ) and passed NSA security clearance with no flags or issue's. So yea, somethings wrong. Too bad we can't hang up and get another operator on the line like we do for Verizon or Comcast.

Going to the local barracks tomorrow.

(Monroe County)

Agreed!

Searched PACER and nothing showed in "my name" so it must be a mix-up with a Jr etc. I've held Securities licenses (fingerprinted twice ) and passed NSA security clearance with no flags or issue's. So yea, somethings wrong. Too bad we can't hang up and get another operator on the line like we do for Verizon or Comcast.

Going to the local barracks tomorrow.
    It's probably a combination of name and date of birth. With so many people escaping from gun free states .... going to keep happening and more frequently ... unless we can get PA to abandon PICS. PSP has better things to do then finger print innocent people.

A bad PICS can really screw up your life .... I was 'dead' for 6 months (nobody bothered to tell me until I tried to register a vehicle) and it took 2 months of my state rep's time to 'fix' that mistake.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Philadelphia County)

Are you referring to Patch? The State Police could be relying on local data but most likely it is a federal name match. If the local sheriff did not take fingerprints when you applied than the only way to clarify the FBI hit is through positive prints.

PICS is pretty quick at clearing these up once you get your prints in.

NICS (if PICS were to go away) has a similar process for denials, you submit fingerprints and they can actually keep a record at your request to clear future issues quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast