Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default Columbia County Sheriff requires LTCF references to call HIM

I just handed in my renewal form for my LTCF at the Columbia County Sheriff's office. On my way out, the deputy told me to make sure that my references call in. So here's the question: Is it legal for the sheriff to require you to have your references call him.

I understand that they can require references, and that having the references call makes it more convenient for everyone. But what happens if, after the 45 days are up, they have not issued my LTCF simply b/c my references have not called in. Isn't it the Sheriff's responsibility to call them? Is this one of those things that Sheriffs are allowed to do b/c it's not specified in the UFA? Maybe Gunlawyer could weight in here.
    They let me play with chemicals!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Columbia County Sheriff requires LTCF references to call HIM

This doesnt make sense to me as you could have anyone call in for you and say that you are a good citizen. Unless they plan on using caller ID to make sure the phone numbers match up.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Butler County)

I am not sure how your sheriff works, in Butler county they told me and my dad the same thing. I asked why and they told me if they call in it will move the process forward way faster. In fact they will do on spot issuing if your references call while your standing there, or you bring them with you.
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Adams County)

I had my references call the Adams County Sheriff's office. It certainly wasn't required, but after almost five weeks, I called for a status check. I found out they'd tried to call but couldn't reach them, so my application was just sitting, waiting for at least one reference so she could pass it on to the Sheriff for his signature.

I asked if I could have my references call that day, and she said "Sure!" So I had both of them call her that day, and I'm hoping I'll get my LTCF late this week or early next (depending on how quickly the form hit the Sheriff's desk, and how fast they are turning around the notifications).

Do references make sense for any reason? So I can prove that I know two persons who own and operate a telephone? So they can write down who my associates are? No thanks. Would anyone ever put down two names who would give them anything other than glowing references?

References serve no purpose. In the LAW, it states that nothing other than a PICS check and payment of fee are required. Self-supplied data, such as references, should be very very suspect, and I don't believe there's any proof that references are *allowed* or that they prove anything. I'd think that the PICS check would do it. If I can buy the gun I intend to carry, why do I need to perform additional acts or provide additional information to carry it?

As for the sheriff. Some counties claim to *sort of require* you to submit a police check card. You know, you go to your local police, pay them 20$, hand them a card, then in 15 days they mail it to your sheriff saying that they don't know you. They don't have computers and email in this county? The claim is that if you do the card thing, they will get it done *faster*, and if you don't you can expect to wait the full 45 days. Horseshit. If your sheriff is making you do his work for him, then fuck him, let him take the full 45 days. If 15$ or whatever isn't enough to make TWO PHONE CALLS then he can go fuck himself. Write down Mick E. Mouse and Donal Duck, 867-5309 and be done with it.

If he calls your references and doesn't get an answer, is there any language in the law that says that is valid grounds for a denial?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    Do references make sense for any reason? So I can prove that I know two persons who own and operate a telephone? So they can write down who my associates are? No thanks. Would anyone ever put down two names who would give them anything other than glowing references?

References serve no purpose. In the LAW, it states that nothing other than a PICS check and payment of fee are required. Self-supplied data, such as references, should be very very suspect, and I don't believe there's any proof that references are *allowed* or that they prove anything. I'd think that the PICS check would do it. If I can buy the gun I intend to carry, why do I need to perform additional acts or provide additional information to carry it?

As for the sheriff. Some counties claim to *sort of require* you to submit a police check card. You know, you go to your local police, pay them 20$, hand them a card, then in 15 days they mail it to your sheriff saying that they don't know you. They don't have computers and email in this county? The claim is that if you do the card thing, they will get it done *faster*, and if you don't you can expect to wait the full 45 days. Horseshit. If your sheriff is making you do his work for him, then fuck him, let him take the full 45 days. If 15$ or whatever isn't enough to make TWO PHONE CALLS then he can go fuck himself. Write down Mick E. Mouse and Donal Duck, 867-5309 and be done with it.
    Bad idea.
    18 PA § 4904. Unsworn falsification to authorities.
    • (a) In general.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if, with intent to mislead a public servant in performing his official function, he:
      • (1) makes any written false statement which he does not believe to be true;
      • (2) submits or invites reliance on any writing which he knows to be forged, altered or otherwise lacking in authenticity; or
      • (3) submits or invites reliance on any sample, specimen, map, boundary mark, or other object which he knows to be false.
    • (b) Statements "under penalty".--A person commits a misdemeanor of the third degree if he makes a written false statement which he does not believe to be true, on or pursuant to a form bearing notice, authorized by law, to the effect that false statements made therein are punishable.
    • (c) Perjury provisions applicable.--Section 4902(c) through (f) of this title (relating to perjury) applies to this section.
    • (d) Penalty.--In addition to any other penalty that may be imposed, a person convicted under this section shall be sentenced to pay a fine of at least $1,000.

(Nov. 29, 2006, P.L.1481, No.168, eff. 60 days)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    If he calls your references and doesn't get an answer, is there any language in the law that says that is valid grounds for a denial?
    Not as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by twency; October 15th, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfool151 View Post
    I just handed in my renewal form for my LTCF at the Columbia County Sheriff's office. On my way out, the deputy told me to make sure that my references call in. So here's the question: Is it legal for the sheriff to require you to have your references call him.

I understand that they can require references, and that having the references call makes it more convenient for everyone. But what happens if, after the 45 days are up, they have not issued my LTCF simply b/c my references have not called in. Isn't it the Sheriff's responsibility to call them? Is this one of those things that Sheriffs are allowed to do b/c it's not specified in the UFA? Maybe Gunlawyer could weight in here.
    Got any friends in China to use as references? Have them call collect.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.