Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ideas for training

I am new to shooting since June of 2013, I have been to three differnent ranges and have taken classes. When I ask about taking NRA first steps for pistols on basic pistol, they told me that I do not need it and that I should save my money. Can anyone offer suggestions for additional training or even a so-call school for shooting. I don't mind learing but I don't want to waste my time, and I don't want to go to a SPECIAL FORCES level type of school. I know that I do need to learn more about shooting other than going to the shooting range and dry-firing at home. Can anyone offer suggestions I am open minded, but I don't want to be gung-ho either. I live in Northeast Philadelphia if that can be of any assistance as to where I am from and where I could travel for classes.
    Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ideas for training

there are several questions you should ask your self before deciding on what type of training you think you need vs what you don't think you need.

1. Is shooting just a hobby or is a tool for providing protection for yourself and your family.

2. If it is a hobby is it recreational or do you want to compete

3. If it is a tool for protection, is it in the home only or will you carry also.

4. Apply 1-3 to the types of firearms you have.

Once you answer those questions you will have a better idea of what type of training you want to invest in.

I have had some good sessions with local trainers.

http://www.standarddeviationarms.com/

These are some great guys to work with, but I know there are members here that are also trainers.

(Northampton County)

Why were you told the Basic Pistol courses would be a waste of your time? Did the person not like them in general, or did he/she feel that your skills are beyond those courses?

What I have found is that most people don't know what they don't know until they take a course - even a "basic" course.

I do teach both basic and "advanced" courses, but what I like to emphasize is that advanced shooting is really just applying the basics in new ways.

I am a certified Law Enforcement and NRA instructor, but I try to keep my classes geared for every day people, and without frills. In my courses, you will find comparable skills to other places, but in an atmosphere free of chest-thumping.

My firearms courses are winding down for this year, but you can find additional information on me and my courses at: www.magilltraining.com

(Allegheny County)

I'm in no way associated with them , but I do know Justin at the gun store in Philly. Talk to him.

(Chester County)

like woodsk said what kinda of training are you looking for?
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Berks County)

Hello Members of PAFOA,

My name is Matthew Clark, I am the Director of F.R.U. F.R.U. is a security, risk, and public safety consulting agency based in Reading Pa.

Our mission is to safeguard, educate, and facilitate a higher standard of care for the public.

F.R.U. offers a variety of services;
    1. Executive & Dignitary protection
    2. Fugitive Recovery
    3. "Red Team" Consulting (Counter Espionage, OSINT Gathering, PENTesting, ETC)
    4. "Security Quality Assessments"
    5. Private Investigations
    6. Investigatory Surveillance
    7. Access Control
    8. Secure/Sensitive Courier Services
    9. Educational Courses (Self-Defense, Situational Awareness, Firearms Manipulation, ETC)
    10. Crime Prevention & Civic Engagement

At F.R.U. we offer effective training, at low cost, instructed by former military and law enforcement personnel.

We are located in the Greater Reading Area of Berks County, Pa.

If anyone is interested you can contact me at your convenience (clarkmatthew600@yahoo.com).

Course fees range from $75.00 - $400.00

Our courses cover topics pertaining to:
    Weapons Manipulation (Handgun, Carbine, and Shotgun)
    Criminal Law & Self Defense Doctrine
    Defensive Tactics & Situational Awareness
    Night Operations & Vehicle Operations
    (Refer to our website for complete course offering)

I invite every one of you to participate in one of our F.R.U. Educational Courses! (Information in reference to F.R.U. Educational Courses can be found at www.frusecpa.webs.com)

Thank You and Stay Safe!

Matthew Clark
    Director
    F.R.U.
    Visit us at www.frusecpa.webs.com!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jd39316 View Post
    I don't mind learing but I don't want to waste my time, and I don't want to go to a SPECIAL FORCES level type of school. I know that I do need to learn more about shooting other than going to the shooting range and dry-firing at home.

Take a three day Level-I hand gun course from any established school or trainer near you. Even the worst of those who have been around for five years or more will not be a waste of your time.

I would avoid those schools that advertise they will "teach you" more than one shooting discipline in a week-end. That spreads the subject matter too thinly, and introduces too many distracting equipment issues for a first-level course.

Also avoid instructors who profess to "cover" anything except the very basics. You want the ones that look too simple; loading, unloading, transport, gun handling and marksmanship. If you cover that in three days, you are doing as well as anyone ever has. Do not make the mistake of thinking you know all that; you will be cheating yourself.