Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Slide Release Reload Causes Accelerated Wear?

A few guys on another forum said that most manufacturers warn not to use the slide release when reloading because it causes 'accelerated wear' to the pistol. First time I've ever heard that. In fact, I read my PT92's manual cover to cover this morning and not only does it not have a warning about this, it actually suggests swiping the slide release to reload OR the slingshot method on the operation page. I think it's a bunch of crap. Everything you do is going to cause some wear so I think it's a matter of personal preference. The slide release reload is clearly faster so why is this even a discussion?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Slide Release Reload Causes Accelerated Wear?

It really depends upon the firearm. I had a Ruger SR9 and it referred to the release as a "slide lock" and specifically recommended against using it as a release in the manual. I have since sold it and all my other 9mm handguns and replaced them all with CZs, none of which carry this warning.

Regards,

BCB
    You don't need a gun until you need one badly.

The slide rams closed every time you fire it, just like it does when you use the slide lock while loading. The only *accelerated wear* would be to the slide lock itself, which absolutely would get some wear to it from doing that. That said, I've used the slide release every single time for 25 years. I have some slide releases that require a little babying because they have some play in them now or are worn, but I've never replaced a slide or barrel or anything because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    Everything you do is going to cause some wear so I think it's a matter of personal preference. The slide release reload is clearly faster so why is this even a discussion?
    Yep, moving parts will wear, but the slide lock takes a bunch of swipes to wear anything where it isn't functioning optimally, and in that case, you simply sharpen the edge of the SL notch in the slide and/or resharpen the edge of the slide lock catch. Remember, though...it takes a butt load of swipes of slide lock to cause even a little rounding off of the corners. Smooth metal against smooth metal, even without lube, and with a slow, super short movement with no heat involved just doesn't wear fast.

If you notice, the slide lock notch is cut so that it pushes the slide lock down if you choose to sling shot it. It is designed for that movement. It (slide lock lever) is also designed to to 'swipe' as you say, to release the slide. Looking at the top of the slide lock lever, itself, there's little traction bars so get a better grip when you push down on the slide lock lever to release the slide. Long story short...what works the best for you is the way to go. Neither way is wrong, however, you will get various opinions on which is faster and which is less intrusive to your grip. One key element with sling shotting is to release the slide when it bottoms...don't walk it, all. This can lead to failure to feed and will take up valuable time clearing the malfunction.

Longer story short...it's still up to you which way you do it.

ETA - Something else I wanted to say, and it's more my opinion, is if you use the slide lock all the time, use a good lube on the pin and holes the pin goes through to decrease the wear from the pressure of the slide pushing against this area. Wear is still slow, here, but it will wear over time.
    Last edited by harold63; October 12th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

To make matters even more complicated, some gun manufacturers such as Kahr specifically recommend releasing the slide lock to chamber a new round from a freshly inserted magazine, and discourage slingshotting it.
    Molon Labe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    To make matters even more complicated, some gun manufacturers such as Kahr specifically recommend releasing the slide lock to chamber a new round from a freshly inserted magazine, and discourage slingshotting it.
    It's basically to ensure a proper feeding the first time around (no way to ride or walk the slide), plus, it's a sure way of getting the round in the chamber for people who are barely strong enough to rack the slide in the first place. Sling shot properly and Kahrs will feed, but it's always wise to do what the manual says, just so everyone's ass is covered.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

I have seen it on some alloy slides where the notch rounded a bit...but it's real rare... almost as rare as seeing an alloy slide.

(Beaver County)

Apparently 92s and CZs are fine with the slide release reload but Glocks and most striker fired pistols tell you not to do it that way. One more reason for me to never buy a Glock. I'm glad to see CZ on the OK list because I want the P-07 and P-09 pretty bad.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery556 View Post
    Apparently 92s and CZs are fine with the slide release reload but Glocks and most striker fired pistols tell you not to do it that way. One more reason for me to never buy a Glock. I'm glad to see CZ on the OK list because I want the P-07 and P-09 pretty bad.
    Really? If that were true then Glock wouldn't offer a gun with an extended slide release, the 34 and 35, and they surely wouldn't offer the part for sale for their other models if true.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

This was old news about twenty years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast