Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Century Arms 1911

So, are they decent or are they crap - anyone own one? Have a guy that is selling them new for $399. I like the features and looks, and $399 for a 1911 45 is pretty good. Better than RIA or at least as good?

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Default Re: Century Arms 1911

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    So, are they decent or are they crap - anyone own one? Have a guy that is selling them new for $399. I like the features and looks, and $399 for a 1911 45 is pretty good. Better than RIA or at least as good?
    I'd say they are decent, but I haven't shot one...only fondled. They are built by Shooter's Arms Manufacturing, which also builds ATI 1911's. My first 'Castor Troy' project was with a pair of ATI midsize 1911's and they turned out extremely well with some tuning and polishing to get them to my personal liking. Unlike RIA, it seems their QC may not be all the way where it should be since the few that I have held all had different trigger feels and pull weights, and none of the grip safeties felt similar. One was extremely loose while one was very stiff...almost too stiff to press with the web of your hand with a tight grip. My ATI project wasn't much different. They did need some spring adjustments, big time, once I got the MIM edges to fit right and be smooth under operation. The last show I went to was a huge show with many RIA 1911's. I'd say 90% of the one's I felt up felt like the time was put into them so they were consistent in showing good QC. Now, this doesn't take anything away from the parts in or on the S.A.M.'s; it just may mean you have to do some adjustments on them to get them to where they feel good to you. I haven't held enough to determine if I got a couple that were pushed through too fast.

My opinion is pretty much the same with the S.A.M. as it is with any sub $700 1911...tune it, and it should be fine. A $70-$100 tune (if you don't know how to, yourself) will make a $400 1911 feel much more expensive, and as Lycan has said a few times, the $$$$$$$$$ 1911's just don't offer enough return for the money when compared to a cheap, tuned 1911, unless it is for straight up fighting or competition, and even then, you can get them there with some TLC. For the price, you cannot beat it. JMHO

ETA - that's actually a nice looking 1911. I honestly like the black on black on black. So does my wife. Her Para GI Expert looks identical to your CA midsize pic.
    Last edited by harold63; October 12th, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Clearfield County)

I have one that's about a decade old, loose as a vegas showgirl but works 100% with whatever I feed it, accuracy is also great but it hits low and to the left of POA.

that being said I wouldn't pay $400 for one, 3 bills would be more like it.

(Bucks County)

I bought one for 330, a military model a few months ago off of a local guys gunbrokers page. I have never owned a 1911 before, so I dont know much about 1911's. I like mine. The grip safety isnt tight. Trigger feels good. I have about 400 rds through it with 2 issues in the first 100 rds, none since. Shoots straight at 10 yds. I shoot it better than my S&W's.

I got whacked with a 50 transfer fee at Classic pistol, I didnt know they charge that much. I usually picked it up at another gun shop, but they dont do that any more. The guy at the gun shop who did the transfer said that it was the nicest $330, 1911 he had ever seen. Less than 400 out the door, I feel I got my moneys worth!

BTW, I like the one in the picture better than mine!

Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I bought one for 330, a military model a few months ago off of a local guys gunbrokers page. I have never owned a 1911 before, so I dont know much about 1911's. I like mine. The grip safety isnt tight. Trigger feels good. I have about 400 rds through it with 2 issues in the first 100 rds, none since. Shoots straight at 10 yds. I shoot it better than my S&W's.

I got whacked with a 50 transfer fee at Classic pistol, I didnt know they charge that much. I usually picked it up at another gun shop, but they dont do that any more. The guy at the gun shop who did the transfer said that it was the nicest $330, 1911 he had ever seen. Less than 400 out the door, I feel I got my moneys worth!

BTW, I like the one in the picture better than mine!

Looks nice, your's looks more like my RIA. The features I liked about the one I posted is the bump out on the grip safety ( I struggle shooting 1911's without that bump out - with my thumb over the thumb safety, I struggle to keep the grip safety engaged without the bump out ) and then the extened thumb safety. Decisions, decisions
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Decisions, decisions
    The memory pad on the GS definitely helps, especially if you like the GS spring on the stiff side. That's a good price for the gun you're looking at. you're going to have to shop some to beat it when you figure the other fees.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    The memory pad on the GS definitely helps, especially if you like the GS spring on the stiff side. That's a good price for the gun you're looking at. you're going to have to shop some to beat it when you figure the other fees.
    Ahh, so the "bump out" on the grip safety as I call it is called a memory pad? That way I can start calling it by it's correct name. I have several 1911's so I'm not in a hurry, just thought it was a good looking 45 at a great price. The only trouble I have with the 1911's is what I described - but I practice every night with the sr1911 in my nightstand perfecting my grip so I can have thumb over thumb safety as you are suppose to shoot a 1911 and keeping the grip safety engaged as well. Practice makes perfect I hope I've actually tried shooting my 1911's "incorrectly" by not keeping my thumb over the thumb safety, but after a couple rounds, I somehow bump and engage the safety on every 1911 I shoot
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Practice makes perfect I hope (
    Yep...just be sure you don't trigger it 'till your ready. This fellow shows you how pull the trigger after taking the safety off, but before it was time to pull the trigger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

It does take some practice to get the timing down. I thought a .45 acp bullet ripping through your leg would hurt worse than it looks like it did with this guy. He seem more pissed than hurt.

(Monroe County)

IMHO, if you can enjoy the gun for what it is, go for it.

If you are like me- always looking to make guns better... you can spend a lot of money on quality parts improving that pistol that you'll never get back if you trade or sell it. If that's the case look for a better roll mark

My $0.02