Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OC and unintended consequences

I don't know if this scenario has been explored, but I just wanted to throw it out there. Firstly, I respect the right of all you oc'ers out there, but i was wondering if any one has thought about the possible negative consequences that could result from this type of carry. Let's say you folks are oc'ing around town, going into WalMart, Lowes, etc. So some of the other customers see you and then go to the managers of these stores and complain. After a couple of complaints, the managers start to explore what can be legally done to end this practice. Now, I thought I read here on this site that if a store posts "No firearms" signs, that they would be within their legal rights. So, if this happens, then no one, not even a person who carries concealed could legally carry in that store. Has anyone thought about this?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: OC and unintended consequences

Signs hold no legal weight in PA. You can carry all you want at a place that has a "no firearms" sign, but if they ask you to leave and you do not, you could be charged with trespassing.

Proud member of:

(Monroe County)

What you're saying is if we exercise our right it could be taken away. Don't worry about it, theres already people out there trying to take this right away. The best thing we can do is promote a safe and responsible image and educate others.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    That's funny! This site is like life, the same #*&* all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    What you're saying is if we exercise our right it could be taken away. Don't worry about it, theres already people out there trying to take this right away. The best thing we can do is promote a safe and responsible image and educate others.
    OK. I can buy that. Especially the "safe and responsible" part. Dittos to the the previous responder!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    I don't know if this scenario has been explored, but I just wanted to throw it out there. Firstly, I respect the right of all you oc'ers out there, but i was wondering if any one has thought about the possible negative consequences that could result from this type of carry. Let's say you folks are oc'ing around town, going into WalMart, Lowes, etc. So some of the other customers see you and then go to the managers of these stores and complain. After a couple of complaints, the managers start to explore what can be legally done to end this practice. Now, I thought I read here on this site that if a store posts "No firearms" signs, that they would be within their legal rights. So, if this happens, then no one, not even a person who carries concealed could legally carry in that store. Has anyone thought about this?
    The more non-gun owners who see responsible, law abiding citizens peacefully carrying firearms, the more people realize that guns aren't the problem. Educating the public is the first step to securing our rights, and its obvious that politicians and beurocrats aren't going to provide that education leaving it up to us.

(Berks County)

People without guns, trying to keep away the people with guns, using paper signs.

That thought never ceases to amuse me. Dont they know theyre

using that logic?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Firstly, I respect the right of all you oc'ers out there, but i was wondering if any one has thought about the possible negative consequences that could result from this type of carry. Let's say you folks are oc'ing around town, going into WalMart, Lowes, etc. So some of the other customers see you and then go to the managers of these stores and complain. After a couple of complaints, the managers start to explore what can be legally done to end this practice.
    This is a problem. The quandary is that rights not exercised tend to be lost but public out cry also has weight. Most people are sheep, most serious 2A CC and OC supporters are sheepdogs. The sheep prefer to pretend the sheepdog doesn`t exist.
    http://www.profire.us/sheepdogs.html
    I have carried both ways over the last 30+ years and do so according to the situation. I carry concealed more often only because I feel from a situational standpoint it`s more effective to not display my hand in life`s poker game.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    This is a problem. The quandary is that rights not exercised tend to be lost but public out cry also has weight. Most people are sheep, most serious 2A CC and OC supporters are sheepdogs. The sheep prefer to pretend the sheepdog doesn`t exist.
    http://www.profire.us/sheepdogs.html
    I have carried both ways over the last 30+ years and do so according to the situation. I carry concealed more often only because I feel from a situational standpoint it`s more effective to not display my hand in life`s poker game.
    Good article about the sheep/sheepdogs. I have heard the term "Sheeple" before, but not the sheepdog anology. I tend to cc myself most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast