Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Bloomberg Claims Colorado Recall is Gun Control Victory

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Mike Bloomberg Vows Colorado Recall Was A Gun Control Win: 'What Do You Mean We Lost?

One month after two Democratic Colorado state senators were recalled for supporting gun control, New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg (I) considers the event to be anything but a setback.

In this week's TIME cover story, Bloomberg addressed the Colorado recall votes, saying that while it was a sad reality for State Sens. John Morse (D-Colorado Springs) and Angela Giron (D-Pueblo), the event was not a loss for gun control since the state's law is still in tact.

"What do you mean we lost?" Bloomberg told TIME. "I'm sorry for those two people. But we won in Colorado. On to the next state."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=politics

The law is intact.... for now.

Mr. Bloomberg has to encourage his "troops". His billions can't do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ATBackpackin View Post
    Actually he is 100% correct. The two thugs senators lost their job, but the laws are still in effect. Until those laws are repealed, they absolutely won.
    No they didn't no matter how they try to spin it. I honestly doubt that what they passed this year was all they wanted. Just look at the other anti states that have been chopping away at The 2nd. Every year they want more and more. I don't know what will happen In Colorado next year but I will bet this years recalls are going to have a dramatic impact on the future of gun control in the state. The antis road just became a lot bumpier and they are going to have to take notice and keep the recalls in the back of their mind.

They may or may not wind up repealing the laws. But I am willing to bet they will not be pushing newgun control laws very hard. At this point that is a victory and a starting point for 2nd citizens to start pushing back. In no universe would Bloomberg have rather of seen those candidate lose. Once they did lose he had no choice but to spin it that it's not a big deal. But it is. It's a start and a victory. Unfortunately it's only a battle and not the war.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    No they didn't no matter how they try to spin it. I honestly doubt that what they passed this year was all they wanted.
    I agree. The Democrats wanted to ban carrying handguns on College Campuses. A rape victim showed up to testify that she did not have a handgun and was raped.

The piece of rubbish Democrat (Evie Hudak D-Westminster) babbled some statistic about "most folks who carry guns have them used against them". This is a popular myth, one that I've never seen backed up by any statistics. Most uses of firearms in defense of crime involve brandishing and result in the attempted actor fleeing the scene. Most hoodlums do not want to risk getting shot since this makes their career choice of violent crime difficult to carry on. They rightly fear being disabled and then becoming prey instead of being a predator.

The rape victim's reply, "He didn't need my weapon, Senator. He had one of his own".

Soon afterwards the Sponsor of this tripe "withdrew" his bill. Score one of the good guys and gals.
    Last edited by GeneCC; October 13th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

(Berks County)

Don't believe a thing MAIG and Bloomberg say. For all his talk, he's now essentially being told to STFU and stay out of CO. From the "Elections Have Consequences" Dept:

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/1...-here-no-more/

I love how Hickenlooper says Coloradans (sp?) like to "be themselves and solve their own problems", but it was perfectly fine for them to interfere prior to the recall election.

Once again, elections have consequences, and Hickenlooper's behavior is evidence of that, this time in our favor.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northampton County)

Actually he is 100% correct. The two thugs senators lost their job, but the laws are still in effect. Until those laws are repealed, they absolutely won.
    They probably have better jobs working for him now.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Agree with the above. All that the Colorado recall meant was that there won't likely be additional damage in Colorado for at least a few years. That does not equate to a strategic win.

Even if they repeal the law, all that would do is restore what was lost. You know what a 'win' looks like? Wisconsin or Illinois in the past few years -- those were both wins. We gained ground in those states. In Colorado, we're fighting to get back to zero.

I'm not saying it's not a fight worth having, but it's just a reminder that the true winners of these fights are the ones who are in it for the long-term, and who don't forget that state and local elections are often more important than federal ones.....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes_Paulsen View Post
    Agree with the above. All that the Colorado recall meant was that there won't likely be additional damage in Colorado for at least a few years. That does not equate to a strategic win.

Even if they repeal the law, all that would do is restore what was lost. You know what a 'win' looks like? Wisconsin or Illinois in the past few years -- those were both wins. We gained ground in those states. In Colorado, we're fighting to get back to zero.

I'm not saying it's not a fight worth having, but it's just a reminder that the true winners of these fights are the ones who are in it for the long-term, and who don't forget that state and local elections are often more important than federal ones.....
    While this is true, I do believe that in their efforts, the anti-gun groups pushed FAR too hard. In doing so, they made it clear that underneath the veneer of "common sense legislation" was really a straight-up gun banning initiative. Now that they've made the mistake of exposing their true mission, it will be awhile before people buy that line again.

In fact, people in CO are still pretty damn angry over what they see as their elected officials failing to vote the will of their constituents. Now that two state senators have been ousted, a 3rd is being targeted:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...recall-effort/
    http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/10/09/color...recall-effort/

If this recall effort gains traction and is successful, it can actually flip the state Senate (see the link in my previous post for citation of this), which would have a statewide impact, as well as sending a message nationally.

In addition, suburban and rural conservatives are so upset that 11 counties in CO are currently undertaking a secession effort:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/frustrated-...ry?id=20493654
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...38911963635746

However unlikely, if this were to actually happen and a 51st state were created, it would add 2 seats to the US Senate and more than that to the US House, all which would likely be sympathetic on gun rights issues. It would change the game in the federal politics, parliamentary procedure, etc.

I agree we're working to "return to zero" here, but they've awakened a sleeping giant in CO, one which could reap a net benefit.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; October 14th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

BusinessWeek magazine has always been about 6 months behind the rest of the business world with their stories and trends. Bloomberg bought it a few years ago and, of course, attached his name to it so that it is now called Bloomberg Businessweek. It's still a rag.

I saw this headline this morning and immediately recognized the mayor's grubby hands all over it.

California's Burst of Common Sense on Gun Control

The story itself is balanced in that the writer gives Brown's reasons for his vetoes. But, it reads like it was edited to death or cut and pasted which is the norm, as I've said, for this rag.

But, the headline and imagery do the job for the mayor.

http://www.businessweek.com/ar
    ticles/2013-10-14/californias-burst-of-common-sense-on-gun-control#r=nav-fs

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    While this is true, I do believe that in their efforts, the anti-gun groups pushed FAR too hard. In doing so, they made it clear that underneath the veneer of "common sense legislation" was really a straight-up gun banning initiative. Now that they've made the mistake of exposing their true mission, it will be awhile before people buy that line again.
    Oh, I certainly agree with that. If the gun issue is even remotely important to you, you're on notice now.

In fact, people in CO are still pretty damn angry over what they see as their elected officials failing to vote the will of their constituents. Now that two state senators have been ousted, a 3rd is being targeted:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...recall-effort/
    http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/10/09/color...recall-effort/

If this recall effort gains traction and is successful, it can actually flip the state Senate (see the link in my previous post for citation of this), which would have a statewide impact, as well as sending a message nationally.
    Hope that you're right here. Certainly, the side with the most motivated people tends to show up in force on a recall election, so this would be a good fight to have, if they can do it.

In addition, suburban and rural conservatives are so upset that 11 counties in CO are currently undertaking a secession effort:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/frustrated-...ry?id=20493654
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...38911963635746

However unlikely, if this were to actually happen and a 51st state were created, it would add 2 seats to the US Senate and more than that to the US House, all which would likely be sympathetic on gun rights issues. It would change the game in the federal politics, parliamentary procedure, etc.
    Here's where I think we part ways. I am not in favor of a secession strategy except in a case where there's no alternative for pro-liberty candidates otherwise. It won't be an unalloyed good for us -- sure, two Senate seats would be gained, but by excising the most conservative counties, an equal number of Senate seats (the two from the rump Colorado state) would likely be forfeit. I don't see any chance of the number of seats changing (that's set by an Act of Congress which hasn't been altered since the 1920s) so it would probably be a wash in the House.

(Yes, I know that Colorado's two Senate seats are both held by Democrats now. But that isn't something fixed in stone - they have flipped back and forth for a while now. Secession would probably guarantee they'd remain held by Democrats for the foreseeable future.)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    The law is intact.... for now.

Mr. Bloomberg has to encourage his "troops". His billions can't do it all.
    His billions can do a lot of damage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast