Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default So, someone told my kid I'm crazy...

Last night, my 8yr old step-daughter told me I was crazy for carrying a gun. I immediately asked 'why?'. Her response kinda worried me: "Because what if you make a mistake and shoot the wrong person, like someone you think is stealing a car but isn't?"

I explained that I wouldn't shoot anyone 'stealing a car' I'd call the cops, and take down the plate #. And that being a gun owner and carrier means you have a heightened responsibility to be safe and mature.

Problem is this: she could NOT have come up with this on her own. Someone told her gun-carriers are 'crazy'. She's smart, but she doesn't think that deeply into these sorts of things.

Now my problem is convincing her to tell me who, and taking that prick or pricks (probably her grandparents on her dad's side) to task for trying to put stupid ideas into her head.

I also reminded her not to talk about the guns we own to her friends at school, her teachers, or whoever.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    Popichak is probably trolling this for his next story...

(Delaware County)

Default Re: So, someone told my kid I'm crazy...

Good approach

I'd do the same thing 100%

(Lancaster County)

When my kids come up with questions that are obviously prompted by someone else, I make it a point of asking them where they got the idea for asking it. Then I gauge my response from there.

Good job on explaining it. All my kids know that we have guns to keep bad guys away.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Don't overlook the obvious. You just may be crazy. Mine tells me all of the time and damn if she is not right.

Also, I would not dismiss how deeply a 8 year old can think about a subject. It sounds to me exactly how mine would think. They have a tremendous sense of what is fair and how things should be, in their mind.

(Bucks County)

funny when i was a young kid (not to long ago) i was always felt safe and protected when people around me were carrying guns....

now they teach kids to live in fear

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Last night, my 8yr old step-daughter told me I was crazy for carrying a gun. I immediately asked 'why?'. Her response kinda worried me: "Because what if you make a mistake and shoot the wrong person, like someone you think is stealing a car but isn't?"

I explained that I wouldn't shoot anyone 'stealing a car' I'd call the cops, and take down the plate #. And that being a gun owner and carrier means you have a heightened responsibility to be safe and mature.

Problem is this: she could NOT have come up with this on her own. Someone told her gun-carriers are 'crazy'. She's smart, but she doesn't think that deeply into these sorts of things.

Now my problem is convincing her to tell me who, and taking that prick or pricks (probably her grandparents on her dad's side) to task for trying to put stupid ideas into her head.

I also reminded her not to talk about the guns we own to her friends at school, her teachers, or whoever.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    Here's where I'd disagree with you. In any situation where there is a family split, minor things get blown out of proportion and the child is usually the loser. The more you remain calm, open, and communicating with the child, the better. The minute you involve her other family, they push back. Then your daughter will be forced to choose sides. Right now, she knows you're safe (to talk to as well as physically safe) and honest with her. Don't take that away from her. Also, if in the course of "taking them to task" your anger shows, they now have justification for claiming you aren't safe to handle a firearm. It doesn't take much in a child custody case to lose your LTCF. Much better to teach her that every family is different, and this is what/why we believe here. Sometimes, the less you interfere, the better, ESPECIALLY when you are not the biological father.

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    Here's where I'd disagree with you. In any situation where there is a family split, minor things get blown out of proportion and the child is usually the loser. The more you remain calm, open, and communicating with the child, the better. The minute you involve her other family, they push back. Then your daughter will be forced to choose sides. Right now, she knows you're safe (to talk to as well as physically safe) and honest with her. Don't take that away from her. Also, if in the course of "taking them to task" your anger shows, they now have justification for claiming you aren't safe to handle a firearm. It doesn't take much in a child custody case to lose your LTCF. Much better to teach her that every family is different, and this is what/why we believe here. Sometimes, the less you interfere, the better, ESPECIALLY when you are not the biological father.
    Listen to Mingomom. My parents were divorced when I was three and the resulting war went on for decades. The biggest loser in the whole thing was the little kid version of me... often the primary battlefield.

But there was one person who was above the fray: my stepfather. He was above all of the BS and just concentrated on being my Dad. I am eternally grateful to him for this. I really, really, REALLY needed someone like him. What an incredible man.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Listen to Mingomom. My parents were divorced when I was three and the resulting war went on for decades. The biggest loser in the whole thing was the little kid version of me... often the primary battlefield.

But there was one person who was above the fray: my stepfather. He was above all of the BS and just concentrated on being my Dad. I am eternally grateful to him for this. I really, really, REALLY needed someone like him. What an incredible man.
    Owntheride,

I agree with both you and Mingomom. It's a shame when parents use the kid to get at each other.

I ask you this one question. Did you ever tell your stepdad how you felt? If you did that's great, but if you didn't you should! It sounds like he is a very good man!

Craig
    OBAMA - One Big Ass Mistake America.....

(Berks County)

Crazy, not us! You did the right thing.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Bucks County)

SLAP!

Don't you ever speak to me that way again!"

Fini!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast