Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks County Congressman Urges Ban on Weapons for Civilians

At about 8AM this morning, Friday, May 9th, Bucks County U.S. Congressman Patrick Murphy was interviewed on Fox29 morning news as he exited the viewing of Philadelphia Police Officer, Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, who was recently killed by bankrobbers who had disguised themselves as Muslims.

Congressman Murphy, when asked for his views regarding a ban on assault weapons responded that, "Now is not the time to talk about such things, today is a day for mourning, not politics."

The Congressman then continued, "I mean I believe in the Second Amendment, I have a gun permit right here in my back pocket, but if you want to own one of these guns [presumably so-called assault rifles] you should join the military."

News anchors and reporters of Fox29 News of Philadelphia have been shamelessly urging gun control since the tragic shooting of the police officer in Philadelphia, completely avoiding any responsibility of the press to remain impartial and to report the news accurately.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=5.2.1

Interestingly, the owners of Fox29 Philadelphia, Fox News/the Fox Network is considered the virtual spokesman for Republican conservatives and has been criticized by some liberals and democrats as a source of right-wing propaganda.

The firearm which has been pictured repeatedly as the murder weapon by Fox 29 news is a Norinco SKS rifle which, with the exception of a removable magazine, is not deemed an assault rifle even by New Jersey, which has traditionally spearheaded the definition of so-called assault rifles and arguably has the most repressive state gun laws in the nation.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top_...mageId=7907599

Police reported that the rifle used in the killing had been stolen from a lawful owner in Harrisburg.

One thing certainly IS true...that all lawful gun ownership advocates in Pennsylvania today mourn the tragic death of this brave police officer. We all stand with police officers against such animals in our society. I do not know a gun enthusiast or holder of a carry permit would hesitate to stand and fight side-by-side with any law-enforcement officer or come to his aid in a shootout - and most police officers know this.

Lets not let this be turned into anti-gun politics by people like Congressman Murphy. Let's not respond to this terrible loss by disarming good-guys.

[SOURCE CLARIFICATION: This report is not a cut-and-paste from a news source. It is a report filed by this forum member SpeakTrue who observed the Fox29 broadcast of Congressman Patrick Murphy.]
    Last edited by SpeakTrue; May 9th, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: SOURCE CLARIFICATION

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bucks County Congressman Urges Ban on Weapons for Civilians

SpeaTrue - The link to the story that you posted doesn't work.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for your comment...the two links posted do work...but you are correct they are not to the main "story" regarding Congressman Murphy's comments...

This television coverage happened at 8am this morning so it may too early for the link to have been posted by FOX29, or the Congressman is not happy about his own comments and perhaps asked them to kill the story on their website...If a link to the feed appears on Fox29 I will post it...

'Til then, you will just have to rely on my accurate reporting or not of what I saw and heard...normally I am not drunk until later in the day, but I hear pretty well even with a hangover...

Of the provided links...link one is an example of Fox29's anti-gun bias in an interview of State Senator Vincent Fumo...

Link two is to the picture of the SKS and other coverage.

Thanks again for pointing this out! - SpeakTrue

(Allegheny County)

I'm going to move this from the "news" section, to the "general" section.

While the OP was written well, and is a report of a news event that we should know about, it's not an actual news story.

Sorry for any confusion.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Default Gun Control Comic - Sociopath, Gun Control Advocate, and Law Abiding Citizen

(Montgomery County)

Interestingly, the owners of Fox29 Philadelphia, Fox News/the Fox Network is considered the virtual spokesman for Republican conservatives and has been criticized by some liberals and democrats as a source of right-wing propaganda.
    Correction. The cable FOX news is considered conservative. The local Fox news stations around the country seem as liberal as the rest from what I've seen.

(Bucks County)

Default UPDATE: An alternative to Anti-gun Bucks County Congressman Murphy

This from Snowflakes in Hell .com...

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/category/guns/

Everything following is a quote from the above-listed web page:

May 09 2008
    Pat Murphy Jumps on Gun Banning Bandwagon
    Posted by: Sebastian in 2008 Election, Gun Rights
    He has signed onto HR1022, the McCarthy Gun Ban:

Congressman Patrick Murphy, D-8, a co-sponsor of a bill to reinstitute the assault weapons ban and son of a former Philadelphia police officer, said the government needs to be “proactive” to quell gun violence.

“While I support the right of gun ownership and I believe in the Second Amendment, I strongly believe that if someone wants to fire an assault rifle they should join the military,” Murphy said.

The congressman’s opponents in this year’s House race, however, said reinstating the assault weapons ban would do little, if anything, to stop gun violence.

Tom Manion, a Republican from Doylestown Township, said the focus should be on stricter law enforcement, not on enacting more gun laws.

“I really don’t think a ban on assault weapons is going to do anything to keep the criminals from getting their hands on guns,” Manion said.

Concealed weapons permit or not, Congressman Murphy, I can promise you that Mr. Manion will be getting my vote this fall, and I will do everything in my power to make sure the 1200 person club I belong to, and my many thousands of readers know why.

(York County)

Default Re: Gun Control Comic - Sociopath, Gun Control Advocate, and Law Abiding Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post

Hilarious. ROFLMAO. Good one.
    3%