Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Explain Like I'm 5: What Can I Hunt with a Basic License

Hello all,

I've tried decoding the Digest, but am confused as to what can be hunted with just the basic license and what requires additionally licenses/stamps.

I'm primarily interested in Deer and Small Game.

With a license I can harvest one deer, correct? I can purchase an additional stamp/tag to harvest one antler-less deer (during the correct season)? Do I need an additional license to hunt with a bow or muzzleloader during their respective seasons?

Thank you in advance.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Explain Like I'm 5: What Can I Hunt with a Basic License

WereWolf;2522786]Hello all,

I've tried decoding the Digest, but am confused as to what can be hunted with just the basic license and what requires additionally licenses/stamps.

With a license I can harvest one deer, correct?
    Yes one deer. With a rifle it would have to be a buck, with bow or muzzy it could be either buck or doe, unless it was in the early oct muzzy season, then it would have to be a doe.
    I can purchase an additional stamp/tag to harvest one antler-less deer (during the correct season)? Do I need an additional license to hunt with a bow or muzzleloader during their respective seasons?
    Yes you need a archery and a muzzy permit to hunt in that season in addition to having a deer tag. A while ago you would have to use the universal "buck" tag first when harvesting a doe even if you had a second antler-less tag during muzzy season. Of course if you slay a buck you would use a buck tag first, and a second deer would have to be a doe or anterless.
    And in some WMU areas, these rules go out the window. Fun stuff, and very confusing.

Thank you in advance

(Washington County)

On the license page in the digest it is all broken down as well as in the HTE course.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    Hello all,

You can take 1 antlered deer during rifle season with a basic liscence. You're good with any small game just make sure of your bag limits as to how many of a particular critter you can take at once.

With a license I can harvest one deer, correct? I can purchase an additional stamp/tag to harvest one antler-less deer (during the correct season)? Do I need an additional license to hunt with a bow or muzzleloader during their respective seasons?

Muzzleloader and archery require a seperate stamp that you have to buy to hunt those seasons. However you could use a muzzleloader for instance in the rifle season if you wanted to. You just cannot hunt during those specific seasons.

Thank you in advance.
    My answers are in red. Good luck to ya.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
    Your standard hunting license allows you to harvest (1) antlered deer(buck) or freak of nature doe with antlers during the "regular"/"rifle" season which starts the first Monday after Thanksgiving. Be sure that the number of antler points is valid for your WMU.

Your standard hunting license also allows you to hunt small game: rabbits, squirrel, groundhog, grouse, pheasant, coyote, and a few other critters.

Your standard hunting license allows you to hunt turkey in the fall, and bearded gobblers in the spring.

To hunt migratory birds you need a federal migratory bird permit on top of your hunting license, and also a Duck Stamp for waterfowl(ducks/geese).

To hunt in either of the Muzzleloader seasons, or during Archery season, you need the respective stamp. However during "regular"/"rifle" season you can use a bow/crossbow/muzzleloader/rifle/shotgun/handgun/etc so long as the device is legal for your WMU.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Your standard hunting license allows you to harvest (1) antlered deer(buck) or freak of nature doe with antlers during the "regular"/"rifle" season which starts the first Monday after Thanksgiving. Be sure that the number of antler points is valid for your WMU.

Your standard hunting license also allows you to hunt small game: rabbits, squirrel, groundhog, grouse, pheasant, coyote, and a few other critters.

Your standard hunting license allows you to hunt turkey in the fall, and bearded gobblers in the spring.

To hunt migratory birds you need a federal migratory bird permit on top of your hunting license, and also a Duck Stamp for waterfowl(ducks/geese).

To hunt in either of the Muzzleloader seasons, or during Archery season, you need the respective stamp. However during "regular"/"rifle" season you can use a bow/crossbow/muzzleloader/rifle/shotgun/handgun/etc so long as the device is legal for your WMU.
    Perfectly exlplained knight. Can't be any more simple.

****I thought, however, you only needed a migratory bird stamp to hunt geese? Do you also need the duck stamp? I thought the duck stamp was simply for ducks.*** WRONG ON MY PART***

EDIT: I just looked up the licensing requirements for duck and goose. It is clearly written you need both the migratory game bird and duck stamp to hunt geese and ducks. So glad I didn't shoot any geese this past september!!!!
    Last edited by football061; October 8th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.