Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default OC Requirements, to be sure.

I'm FINALLY getting my first gun tommorow. I'm 22, so I meet the age requirement of buying a hand gun, now to open carry. my friend(25) and i are going to take a walk to our local pizzeria to get a bite to eat. Now i've been going there since i was 5 years old, i dont think they're going to mind me having a gun, but someone driving by as we walk down the road might have a problem. Now if they do, and call the police for some reason, and the police stop us. We are within our rights to be OC'ing WITHOUT an LTCF right? We will be on foot, just jeans and t-shirt, gun on hip, in plain view. I mean im pretty positive we're safe legally after all the research ive done and info i've gotten off this forum. What if the cop tells us what we are doing is illegal. Also what happens if he tries to disarm us? What recourse do we have if it escalates to this level? thanks alot guys. i just want to be safe as possible and make sure i have as much knowledge as i can get before i make my first venture out into society bearing arms.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: OC Requirements, to be sure.

Your assumptions are correct. As long as you're not in a vehicle or in Philadelphia, you're good to go. To cover your ass print out a couple of PA Patriots flyers.
    http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf

Have fun on your walk. Be courteous and polite to whoever looks at you or agrees or disagrees with you. Remember you're representing all gun owners when you advertise (OC). Represent us well
    Ruger SR1911/SR9/Glock 19

(Bucks County)

go for a permit to carry. It is shal issue from your county sheriff and you can conceal carry (sometimes a better option) and you can carry concealed or open in a vehicle or in philadelphia if you ever visit (only with a firearms carry liscense)... always good to have doesn't take long. open carry is restricted to walking distance if you think about it... in the poconos, i'm sure you need a car sometime or you end up concealing if if you have a coat on... it's not any harder to get than a firearm, with the checks... it just takes a few days and well worth it...
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Tioga County)

If the moronic LEO wants to take your gun don't fight it insist on a receipt, It's the law. then get a lawyer. If it all possible have him do this with other witnesses present. thus if he says "what guns" you can take him to the cleaners. If he cites you, say thank you officer and give him your best grin.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I'm FINALLY getting my first gun tommorow. I'm 22, so I meet the age requirement of buying a hand gun, now to open carry. my friend(25) and i are going to take a walk to our local pizzeria to get a bite to eat. Now i've been going there since i was 5 years old, i dont think they're going to mind me having a gun, but someone driving by as we walk down the road might have a problem. Now if they do, and call the police for some reason, and the police stop us. We are within our rights to be OC'ing WITHOUT an LTCF right? We will be on foot, just jeans and t-shirt, gun on hip, in plain view. I mean im pretty positive we're safe legally after all the research ive done and info i've gotten off this forum. What if the cop tells us what we are doing is illegal. Also what happens if he tries to disarm us? What recourse do we have if it escalates to this level? thanks alot guys. i just want to be safe as possible and make sure i have as much knowledge as i can get before i make my first venture out into society bearing arms.
    Your first firearm, and you are going to put it on and go have a pizza?
    Well, there's the good and bad about rights, right there.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with how to properly operate it, being as it's your first gun. How prepared are you to utilize it, should the need arise? Serious question... no need to answer to me, answer it honestly, to yourself.

As for being disarmed, it's not the police I'd be concerned with. I would hope your holster has some form of retention. (Now I sound like an anti-OCer)

I'm trying to keep this from sounding "harsh", but when I read:
    i just want to be safe as possible and make sure i have as much knowledge as i can get before i make my first venture out into society bearing arms
    I have to wonder if you are considering the whole picture in regards to being "safe".
    The emphasis seems to be on staying "safe from harassment" by police.

Good luck with your new firearm, and be safe.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

"i dont think they're going to mind me having a gun" This also depends on where in the Poconos you are. Stroudsburg and Mt. Pocono are real hot spots and you'd be asking for problems without a LTCF. My advice would be go to a local range first, learn how to use the weapon you are carrying, learn how to handle it safely. Get instructions from someone with experience before you decide to carry a weapon on your person OC or CC. The sheriff in Monroe is a reasonable guy and will help you with any questions about the application for a LTCF, it takes a couple of weeks to get everything processed but I think you'd be better off with one.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    "i dont think they're going to mind me having a gun" This also depends on where in the Poconos you are. Stroudsburg and Mt. Pocono are real hot spots and you'd be asking for problems without a LTCF. My advice would be go to a local range first, learn how to use the weapon you are carrying, learn how to handle it safely. Get instructions from someone with experience before you decide to carry a weapon on your person OC or CC. The sheriff in Monroe is a reasonable guy and will help you with any questions about the application for a LTCF, it takes a couple of weeks to get everything processed but I think you'd be better off with one.
    I 100% agree with you. go to the range and get some training so you know how it it operates. At my local range, there is a class for 150 dollars that teaches you the ins and outs of safety, cleaning, and storage and when to shoot/when not to shoot, etc. Taking some classes could mean the difference between going home or going to jail at the end of the night.

Also, as i mentioned before, LTCF is always a good thing to have. It's not like it's a burden to get in this state. many counties it takes a few weeks to a month (and bucks hooks you up in 0-5 working days after pics/nics. If anything coveres it for even an instant, it is considered a concealed carry. plus you would be restricted to walking distance and oc in philly equires LTCF. All, if not most, of the people who oc here have the LTCF, because they sometimes drive with it, sometimes they want to conceal carry, etc.

I was at genos in philly for the benefit of the recently deceased cop, and there were many people there including out of state police (nj... you know the nazi state) and children and i chose to cc there. I didn't want anyone freaking out on me like i did something illegal and having a mob of people take me down and disarm me.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

As for being disarmed, it's not the police I'd be concerned with. I would hope your holster has some form of retention. (Now I sound like an anti-OCer)

Shame on you EM!

Good holster retention is NOT an anti-OC arguing point! I think that you’ll find most of us OC’ers would agree that OC should ONLY be exercised with a good retention holster.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Monroe County)

My two cents, if you are going to carry it, you better make sure you are proficient with it. If you are going to carry it open, just to make a statement, be prepared for the consequences. Get your LTCF. Why you didn't as soon as you turned 21 is beyond me. You don't need a handgun to get a LTCF. In your case, being as young as you are, I would consider getting it before I went OC'ing.
    As for Stroudsburg and Mt. Pocono being hotspots...what makes you say that? I OC about everywhere I go. I have OC'd at just about every place between Bangor, Portland, D.W.G., E. Burg, Stroudsburg, Bartonsville, Tannersville, Swiftwater, Mt.Pocono, Canadensis, Analomink, Marshalls Creek, Bushkill, Dingman's Ferry, Milford. I have OC'd at the mall, the doctor's office, the supermarket, the diner, the crossing factory, walmart, the gas station, the little league, the skating rink, the school, almost every restaurant in those towns, ... I have been asked about my pistol by curious people, but I have yet to be harassed by an officer.
    Last edited by headcase; May 9th, 2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added a bit

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast