Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Marlin 336 in .35 Remington

So i had a Marlin 336 that i sold a few months ago..along with the ammo. Long story short, the rifle is now back in my collection, sans the ammo and the scope (no biggie, i was meaning to replace the scope anyway).

NO ONE has ammo for it in my area, except for Gander Mountain where it is 37.99 for a box of Core Lockts... which i bought...

So the question is.. what do you guys this as far as a scope? It currently has see thru rings so i can use the iron sights for the season but i would like to put some decent glass on it for brush ranges (100m or less)

I am thinking a 2-7 power...thoughts?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: My Marlin 336 in .35 Remington

I have a 2-7x Nikon Prostaff on my Marlin lever in .41 magnum and love it. Very clear nice field of vision.

(Bucks County)

^^^^What he said.

Any decent 2-7 or 3-9 scope will work and I've been a fan of Nikon for a long time. If cost is a factor, give Sightron a try. I had a Sightron 3-9X on my 336 in .35 Rem for several years. It doesn't gather as much light as a Nikon but it won't fog up in the rain or snow like a cheap scope will.

I would ditch the see-thru rings though. I think they put the scope too high above the bore. I like the XS Sight Systems rail. It moves the rear sight back over the receiver and gives you a longer sight radius but allows the mounting of a traditional scope or a scout scope mounted forward over the barrel. I have had quality control problems with XS however. On two seperately occasions I had to call them because incorrect parts were packaged with the system. XS made it right immediately and without charge each time though.

(Northampton County)

Have a 1.5 to 4 wide field Tasco on mine.
    Scope is a old 1. just shot using Rem 200 gr. corelock. perfect at 100.

Ammo= sale this week at Dicks. All Rem ammo. except 22 cal.
    NRA Life Member 03/2005

I had a Redfield 2x7 on my 336 and it's a great piece of glass but I recently went to Williams fire peep sights and the scope is in the safe for the next rifle I get. If I am correct Redfield is owned by Leupold but never less the glass is very nice and clear

Thanks for the replies everyone! I picked up a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x33 for about 140 at my LGS, and they were kind enough to mount and boresight for me. I also grabbed another 2 boxes of 200 gr ammo. I am going to fire that off and then reload some. I am thinking about the Leverevelution from Hornady, just need to find a good receipe to duplicate. Perhaps i will post in the reloading section.

(Franklin County)

I tried the lever revolution stuff in my 336. After testing a number of loads, I determined my 200g Hornady round nose load actually was more accurate 1.25 MOA). It was fun to play with, but at $42 a box for the lever revolution stuff... not productive.

(Lawrence County)

Just can't get over the cost of factory ammo. Used to buy .35Rem and .30/30Win. at Warehouse Sales/Trader Horn stores for under $10.00 a box. World went nuts in the last ten years.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(York County)

in 1983 i was in a discount store that was closing out their ammo section. i bought all of the federal 200 grain 35 remington they had for $2 a box, against the sticker price of $7.99. saved enough to buy a new 336C at $189. still have some of that factory ammo, but have traded off the gun. not to worry, as i have a 336SC, a 14, and a model 8 in that caliber yet. should have bought everything they had on the shelf.

As for the ammo, I'd start reloading. As for the scope, I think it depends a lot on the regulations in your area. If you have 2 pt, 3 pt, or 4 pt rules on one side a 3x9 is the better option trying to identify a 1 inch point at 7:20 am or 5":15 pm at a 100 yards. Or a larger button buck or doe in the same circumstances could be more difficult to identify. But, the fixed 4x, 1.5 x 5x, or even a 2 x 7 should work in most conditions. Medium quality glass would be another stipulation. I don't think on that particular style of rifle (it's still a good deer gun) needs a + $500 scope.
    May your hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast