Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Stuck bullet in muzzleloader...HELP

So i have an older model Flintlock T/C Hawken .50 that I have been toting around the woods for the season.

Lets just say my last hunting trip ended with me falling into a creek up to my chest on one of those nice 5 degree weather days we had. Rifle went with me, soaked in the creek for about 10 seconds.

I assumed the powder was kaput. I ordered 2 different bullet pullers online from T/C. The first one broke off at the base of the puller (like breaking the head off a screw), the second one pulled the brass end off my rod.

I now have a loaded rifle with not one, but two bullet pullers as well as about 3 inches of brass rod down it, with what may or may not be live black powder behind it..

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Stuck bullet in muzzleloader...HELP

can you remove the flash hole? if you can try some compressed air

(Franklin County)

1st thing , take the flash hole out. Put the whole gun in the bath tub with hot water . and let soak for about an hour. this will fowl the load. dont try pulling a ball out with an questionably active load. try to flush it out as much as possible. Than I would try putting oil down the flash hole, let that soak in for a while. Than try forcing air through it...
    In God We Trust............................

I tried a screwdriver in the flash hole but it seems pretty much solid in there. I was going to spray some weasel piss in it to see if i can loosen the threads but then i knew it would kill the blackpowder inside, and then i would not have the last resort option of attempting to fire it off with the string/hide behind a barrier method. what is this compressed air method you speak of?

(Centre County)

Since you will be getting an aluminum rod to replace the broken rod, you will be set next time with a bullet puller. Gunshops that have a decent muzzleloader inventory generally sell a CO2 removal kit. It is basically uses airgun co2 cartridges to blow out the load through the flashhole. Bigger shops can do this service for you.

(Adams County)

first you should have just tried to shoot it out. if after repriming and trying again. next would be trying to remove the touch hole liner digging out some of the old powder then repriming and trying it again. if that all fails you have a few choices left. one is to try blowing the load out with compressed air through the touch hole. the next is to install a grease fitting in the touch hole and pump it out with a grease gun.

if all that fails. for me because I have the tools I would unbreach it and push the ball out.
    but that takes the right tools. not a bench vise and a adj. wrench.

I would never try to remove a stuck ball with a ball puller. they end up more like what you have now then really removing the ball.

try to shoot it out. that is your best bet right now.

(Berks County)

If all else fails, bring it to Dixon's near Kempton. They're closed this week for vacation though until Saturday though (I think).

(Armstrong County)

If you are thinking about re-charging it and trying to shoot it out.
    Make sure you re-tamp the ball down the bore to seat it against the powder
    You do not want a space between the powder charge and the patch/ball.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Westmoreland County)

Personally I would seek out a Gunsmith at this point. As Bob mentioned there is a tool for un breaching the TC rifle barrels. Depending on how old the rifle is, even with the proper tools this could be a job best left to a GS. I assume you are talking about a flintlock. The CO2 cartage and tool used for blowing the ball out works minimally on cap & ball rifles with a stuck ball.
    With all you have jammed in there now I would be very surprised if the air had any effect on the ball.

(Bucks County)

Render the charge inert with a penetrating oil. Grease the bore from muzzle to ball and patch. Set barrel in a vice muzzle down. Heat barrel at the breech area with a torch until the lead melts and runs out. ?
    Last edited by Bang; January 15th, 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast