Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ratting

(Perry County)

Default Ratting

Anyone ever go ratting with an air rifle?

I just an air rifle the other day and have been watching videos about airguns and all things about them. One thing I found was ratting - using airguns to hunt rats. Most of the guys are using PCP airguns for quick shooting but don't see why you couldn't use a breakbarrel.

It looks like a lot of fun. They were hunting on farms and waste disposal areas.

I don't know of any where that would have a decent rat population to hunt.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ratting

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Anyone ever go ratting with an air rifle?

I just an air rifle the other day and have been watching videos about airguns and all things about them. One thing I found was ratting - using airguns to hunt rats. Most of the guys are using PCP airguns for quick shooting but don't see why you couldn't use a breakbarrel.

It looks like a lot of fun. They were hunting on farms and waste disposal areas.

I don't know of any where that would have a decent rat population to hunt.

Ahh Ratting.

Its been a long time.

Probably the most populated rat infested area I've been in was during the construction of the Pittsburgh subway system. Cutting an underground tunnel almost 40 feet below street level had them tear through dozens if not hundreds of existing and abandoned sewers. I was welding pipe supports for a couple 12" water lines and had to climb up onto the shoring beams and crawl along them for quite a distance. I had 200 feet of welding lead, 100 each shoulder and was to string it as i went.

I climbed up a 12 foot ladder to my piece of steel and as I reached to hold onto a flange, I came face to face with the biggest rat I ever saw in my life.
    I peeled the lead off my shoulders as I jumped into a pile of dirt below me. No injury, just surprised and reacted probably too quickly.

Anyway, we saw hundreds of them little (and big) rats everywhere. nasty.
    If you moved anything, there was a good chance of a rat being behind or under stuff.

Then there was the guy who told my super I carried.

He was the biggest rat of all.

Unfortunately, the walls are all sealed and you can't hunt there so I guess this reply was a bit OT. Sorry but I did bump the thread.

We didn't use air rifles at the dump when I was about 12. We took .22's.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lawrence County)

We used to shoot them at my buddies farm when I was a kid. Little bastards were in and out of those stalls all day looking for food. We had a nice little shooting bench made out of straw bales, lol.

(Bucks County)

We used .22s at the city dump in San Bernardino when I was in USAF. Later, we got asked to shoot rats at the city dump in Big Bear , California. They had bigger problems than rats, though. They had a big BEAR problem. Dozens of big black bears in the dump all the time eating trash. A buddy of mine used to be Combat Camera and he took pictures of a bunch of them. He got a pic of a mountain lion up there on a cliffside. When he developed the pictures, there were two other lions he hadn't seen even closer to him. He thinks they were stalking him. He had decided to take a few more pics and leave. He said he got out just in time if they were stalking him.

But yeah, shooting rats in a city dump is a hoot!

(Bucks County)

We used to shoot them in the evenings at a scrapyard I worked at in Philthy. 10/22 or the Rem 34 took care of the problem.