Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Default Re: 2013 Archery report 2013

Got up at 0430 today and drove to my parent's house in Holland where I hunt. Took my time getting into the stand, went extra slow, because my morning stand is over a bed area and it's super tough not to spook them all out getting in. Only saw one deer move out in the dark as I was approaching my stand. Didn't take off like it knew a human was in the woods, just strolled out cautiously..
    About 40 minutes after getting up in the stand and all settled in, I had just started to read a chapter from the Bible (I do this in the morning on my hunts, and then read another book throughout the day to help keep me still), and got about 3 verses in before I looked up and saw this big doe and what I think was a smaller button buck with her come walking in.
    I drew, and moved a little in the stand to line up the shot, and the small movement sent her on alert... sat there, holding full draw for what seemed like at least 3 minutes (probably less but my arm was burning LOL) while she is staring right at me. Finally she goes back to feeding, and I can release the tension on the bow (she was now standing straight at me, no shot).
    Well I release the tension and it spooks the button buck that's standing about 10 yds from her. He snorts and takes off, runs about 15 yards and stops, and she stayed put but was back on alert.
    Waited some more and she finally calmed down, broadsided me, and I smoked her. Clean pass through, double lunged her, she ran probably less than 30 yards and then teetered over and dropped.
    Diamond Outlaw, 65# 30.5", easton carbon ST Excel 400 with muzzy 100 grain fixed head

This is where she dropped- you can see the exit wound here, and all the blood where she bled out- this is pre- field dressing:

Here is a close up of the exit wound- I'm pretty sure that was lung tissue protruding from the hole:
    Edit: that's dirt on the broadhead- not poo- it passed through both lungs and then stuck in the ground.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Got up at 0430 today and drove to my parent's house in Holland where I hunt. Took my time getting into the stand, went extra slow, because my morning stand is over a bed area and it's super tough not to spook them all out getting in. Only saw one deer move out in the dark as I was approaching my stand. Didn't take off like it knew a human was in the woods, just strolled out cautiously..
    About 40 minutes after getting up in the stand and all settled in, I had just started to read a chapter from the Bible (I do this in the morning on my hunts, and then read another book throughout the day to help keep me still), and got about 3 verses in before I looked up and saw this big doe and what I think was a smaller button buck with her come walking in.
    I drew, and moved a little in the stand to line up the shot, and the small movement sent her on alert... sat there, holding full draw for what seemed like at least 3 minutes (probably less but my arm was burning LOL) while she is staring right at me. Finally she goes back to feeding, and I can release the tension on the bow (she was now standing straight at me, no shot).
    Well I release the tension and it spooks the button buck that's standing about 10 yds from her. He snorts and takes off, runs about 15 yards and stops, and she stayed put but was back on alert.
    Waited some more and she finally calmed down, broadsided me, and I smoked her. Clean pass through, double lunged her, she ran probably less than 30 yards and then teetered over and dropped.
    Diamond Outlaw, 65# 30.5", easton carbon ST Excel 400 with muzzy 100 grain fixed head

This is where she dropped- you can see the exit wound here, and all the blood where she bled out- this is pre- field dressing:

Here is a close up of the exit wound- I'm pretty sure that was lung tissue protruding from the hole:
    Edit: that's dirt on the broadhead- not poo- it passed through both lungs and then stuck in the ground.

Good for you. How far was the shot?

Congrats. I held a Whitetail Hunter at full draw quite a few years ago for maybe 2 min and ended up putting the bear arrowhead into a tree when the buck finally gave me a broad side but small window.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Good for you. How far was the shot?

Congrats. I held a Whitetail Hunter at full draw quite a few years ago for maybe 2 min and ended up putting the bear arrowhead into a tree when the buck finally gave me a broad side but small window.
    Thanks, it was about 20 yards. 20 yard shot, 20 yard run, then she dropped dead. The first time I drew she was out at about 30 or 35 if I remember correctly.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

(Monroe County)

I will be out this weekend and next weekend. I have yet to get my deer for the season. At this point I will take one the size of a large dog. I just hope its not crowded in there with hunters traveling from other zones.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021