I was wondering if anyone know what type of investigation the sheriff dept uses to issue non resident gun permits. I see by the application they ask for a copy of your permit from your state and a valid copy of a driver license
I see by some reports permits are issued in a short time frame:I wonder if they just do a background check
with your driver license or do they also request additional information from the state were you reside in to forward a copy of your reason to have a gun permit.I would also wonder if they issue the non -resident permit and due a complete background check at there own time frame.
I read some remarks permits were issued in a week time also seen a few post the sheriff dept may issue permits on the spot.
I am going this weekend up to PA in Wayne county in Honesdale and was thinking why just see if I could apply there in person spoke with the sheriff deputy on the phone and she stated the sheriff there will not issue a non-resident permit unless you own property in the Wayne county area.I ask why and she stated it was up to him and she stated you will have to Waite 45 days until the FBI investigation will clear and Pennsylvania Instant Check System for issuing CCW from Harrisburg will clear.I did try to explain I already have a permit out of state but she say the paper work on both at Harrisburg and the FBI search will take about 45 days and yet I read guys getting the permit in a week.I wonder how can the same dept have different rules on applying for a non resident permit or the local sheriff make his own rules as he goes.?
I wonder am I missing something or did she misunderstood or mislead me with the wrong info.