Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default "No Firearms" Sign in Tredyffrin Township Park

Hi everyone,

I have a question about a sign I saw posted at Strafford Park in Tredyffrin Township in Wayne, PA.
    Last Sunday I took my family out to the park to have lunch since the weather was great.
    On our way out my wife noticed that the big poster with all of the park ordinances had a "No Firearms" section along with the standard "closed after dark, no alcohol, etc"

Here's my question. Can they do that? I was under the assumption that PA State Constitution prohibits towns, cities, boroughs etc from enacting laws that limit individual rights to bear arms; making them more restrictive than the state laws.

I believe that Strafford Park is considered a public park. It's right next to a public library and the sign at the entrance to the parking lot says "Strafford Park, Tredyffrin Township". Has anyone heard of this?

Also what are some steps that can be taken if in fact the township cannot prohibit me from carrying a firearm into a public park?

Thank you.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: "No Firearms" Sign in Tredyffrin Township Park

Quick answer, no. But it's not the PA Constitution that prohibits that, it's the UFA. §6120 also called "pre-emption." If you do some searching on here, you'll find tons of threads addressing it.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    Quick answer, no. But it's not the PA Constitution that prohibits that, it's the UFA. §6120 also called "pre-emption." If you do some searching on here, you'll find tons of threads addressing it.
    Thank you.
    I remember reading about pre-emption a few months ago when Philadelphia passed a law banning all firearms from recreational facilities within the city. I believe people were saying that how that law was null due to pre-emption.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by vavulaka View Post
    Thank you.
    I remember reading about pre-emption a few months ago when Philadelphia passed a law banning all firearms from recreational facilities within the city. I believe people were saying that how that law was null due to pre-emption.
    Here's the law just for reference.

§ 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.
    (a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    (a.1) No right of action.--
    (1) No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.
    (2) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Lancaster County)

It's in their ordinances:

No person, other than township active duty police officers employed in the execution of their duties, shall carry or possess or discharge or use firearms or weapons of any type in a township park.
    [Amended 6-1-1998 by Ord. No. HR-270]
    http://ecode360.com/TR1485?#TR1485
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It's in their ordinances:

http://ecode360.com/TR1485?#TR1485
    This ordinance seems to violate the UFA, what can be done to address this?
    Is it a matter of contacting the local township manger and trying to get them to remove the ordinance or is this one of those "let the courts decide once you're caught" type of situations?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by vavulaka View Post
    This ordinance seems to violate the UFA, what can be done to address this?
    Is it a matter of contacting the local township manger and trying to get them to remove the ordinance or is this one of those "let the courts decide once you're caught" type of situations?
    Use the same approach we used in Radnor - get a meeting with the township manager and point out the issue. Provide sample language to bring the ordinance inti compliance with the UFA. We found that Radnor was willing to quietly work it out.
    Several of us went to the township meetings (open carrying) to quietly reinforce that we would not go away until this was resolved.
    I'm happy to help.
    Frank
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Lancaster County)

I've seen that "No Firearms" verbiage written on signs here and there around Reading. But this town is such a train wreck I never gave it much thought.
    Johnnie F.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lprgcFrank View Post
    Use the same approach we used in Radnor - get a meeting with the township manager and point out the issue. Provide sample language to bring the ordinance inti compliance with the UFA. We found that Radnor was willing to quietly work it out.
    Several of us went to the township meetings (open carrying) to quietly reinforce that we would not go away until this was resolved.
    I'm happy to help.
    Frank
    Since I live in King of Prussia and thus in a totally different township and county, do you see that being a problem?
    Maybe starting with a letter to the township manager would be a good start.

I just see myself showing up at a township meeting (carrying or not) and bringing up this subject just to be told "OUR residents voted for this..."
    Granted their ordinance is against the law, but since I'm not a resident they may not listen too hard.

(Northampton County)

Sometimes an appropriate letter will do the trick without even attending a meeting.

Here is where I would start.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...violation.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast