Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Gas Station owner question

Hello All,

My name is Aaron Thomas and I am one of the owners nephew of the Route 611 sunoco mini mart in tannersville. I was wondering if LTCF was permissible for self-defence at our business? My uncle Gary, knows former Chief of the Pocono Police Department and we have another reference in Snydersville. Will that suffice? Thank you for your help and assistance.

Also, for other members living in the county that are familiar with the place of business, there will be some big changes made in december when one of the people goes back. We are striving for better customer service and product selection.

(York County)

Default Re: Gas Station owner question

Quote Originally Posted by ram3500 View Post
    Hello All,

My name is Aaron Thomas and I am one of the owners nephew of the Route 611 sunoco mini mart in tannersville. I was wondering if LTCF was permissible for self-defence at our business? My uncle Gary, knows former Chief of the Pocono Police Department and we have another reference in Snydersville. Will that suffice? Thank you for your help and assistance.

Also, for other members living in the county that are familiar with the place of business, there will be some big changes made in december when one of the people goes back. We are striving for better customer service and product selection.
    Pennsylvania, unlike Maryland, does not have a "Good and Substantial Reason" requirement for a license to carry firearms. If an individual is not prohibited from having an LTCF they will be issued one.

IF you hire someone to be an armed guard then ACT 235 comes into play but I do not believe that is what you are asking.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Lackawanna County)

I used to live in Monroe County. The Sheriff there is a little nutty when it comes to the LCTF process. I notice that you have two in county references. I believe the requirement that the references are in county residents is not a legal requirement, but since you have them, I would not sweat being the guinea pig to challenge the legality of this requirement.

As for LCTF for carrying in your gas station, I would not get into the weeds of those spacifics on your application. Just mark "self-defense" on the application. There is no prohibition in Pennsylvania from carrying in your workplace unless there is a worksite policy against it...since you are the owner, I doubt you will ask yourself to leave the premise or risk defiant trespass.

I will tell you that Monroe County's Sheriff does send out the reference postcards, so your LCTF will not be issued the same day. (Thank God I now live in Lackawanna County where the process takes all of 10 minutes...out the door with LCTF the same day).

(Monroe County)

Thank you for the info and your experience. Yes, I will try my best to deal with the red-tape. As a vet, (including my uncle former vietnam vet) and responsible tax payer, we deserve this. Pocono region is getting a bit crazy with the influx of youth and other problems... Thanks for the advice this is a great forum.