Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig P227

(Franklin County)

Default Sig P227

I'm very interested in acquiring the Sig P227. Does anyone own one? I'd like to hear your opinion on it. Very little about it has been posted on youtube, but what I did find has been all positive. No surprise. How does it compare to the Glock 21? That's the only other model I'm considering at the moment.

What other high capacity .45 ACP's are available that may tempt me? Friends of mine tell me to only look at a Sig or Glock. I'd appreciate input from others who have more knowledge and experience. Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Sig P227

I am not a fan of plastic guns, but Ruger has the SR45 10+1. I have two P220 Sigs dark elite and they are scary accurate. If the P227 is anything like those, you are on for the best shooting pistol around!

I would highly recommend the Sig, I've never messed with a 227, but I own several Sigs, and have shot many more, I have never shot a Sig that I wasn't very happy with. As for other high cap 45s, I'd look at the M&P45, FN 45 (think its the FNX?), SR45, or Glock. I'm not a huge fan of polymer guns, but if I wanted a polymer .45, I would pick up a M&P45 without a second thought, my experience with the M&P series has been very good, had a 9, and it was one of the most accurate pistols I've ever shot, and the recoil was very low.

(Allegheny County)

While Glocks and sigs are some of the best guns I wouldn't only look at them. Sig227 is a p226 in .45, which is one of my top 5 semis. 226 is an awesome gun period, so while I have not shot the 227 it's the same platform and I expect the same performance.

If you are looking for .45acp I would recommend the g21 or hk usp .45 as alternatives to the 227. FNX-45 would be another similar but cost effective model (compared to the sig and hk).

My choice would be a railed 1911 though....
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; October 3rd, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

(Washington County)

HK makes a nice .45, as does FN, most of the time, guys tend to recommend what THEY like and not so much what is a good pistol or not.

I would say that ANY modern fighting pistol in .45 from Sig, Glock, HK, FN, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, etc. will be fine, you just have to actually hold one or better yet shoot one to see how it fits YOUR hand.

Quote Originally Posted by publius71 View Post
    I'm very interested in acquiring the Sig P227. Does anyone own one? I'd like to hear your opinion on it. Very little about it has been posted on youtube, but what I did find has been all positive. No surprise. How does it compare to the Glock 21? That's the only other model I'm considering at the moment.

What other high capacity .45 ACP's are available that may tempt me? Friends of mine tell me to only look at a Sig or Glock. I'd appreciate input from others who have more knowledge and experience. Thanks!
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    HK makes a nice .45, as does FN, most of the time, guys tend to recommend what THEY like and not so much what is a good pistol or not.

I would say that ANY modern fighting pistol in .45 from Sig, Glock, HK, FN, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, etc. will be fine, you just have to actually hold one or better yet shoot one to see how it fits YOUR hand.
    ^^^There ya go^^^

(Northampton County)

Don't forget the Baby Eagle, Tanfoglio Witness, CZ97, and most of all the Sar K2/45.

(Warren County)

I love Sig's, have several and this one is on my list of wants. I've copy/pasted some info from Sig's website. I've not seen or held one, but it looks like a winner to me.

MORE POWER PER SQUARE INCH
    The new, remarkably ergonomic SIG P227™. It’s a .45ACP that holds 10+1 rounds — but you’d hardly know it from the thinness of the grip. Take hold of this high-power, high-capacity pistol and you’ll see first-hand how
    we’ve stacked the odds in your favor.

- Full-size and carry lengths
    - Fits holsters designed for P220R and P226R
    - .45 ACP Double stack magazines
    - 14 Round extended magazine available
    - Double-action/Single-action
    - Integral accessory rail

Tim , USAF Ret.

(Lycoming County)

I've never handled a 227 but you usually can't go wrong with any sig if you have the bucks for it.

I just shot the ruger sr45 the other weekend and it is very comparable to the glock 21 sf imo. Handled very similiar to the glock with a slightly narrower grip than the standard 21. Personally for a high cap .45 I really like the fnx on paper, but I've never shot one just handled one a couple times in lgs.

The only other one I havn't seen mentioned yet that I would say is the Berretta px4. These seem to get pretty good reviews and supossedly they soak up the .45's recoil very well making them very controlable.