Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Moving to Jefferson or Clearfield County from Montgomery County

Hey folks,

Well I'm moving out west, from Montgomery County to either Jefferson or Clearfield counties.

How do you find the climate is among law enforcement and local government (courts, district attorneys) for the area?

What is the process like for getting an LTCF in Jefferson or Clearfield?

Any good ranges in the area? Anything else I should know?

Looking forward to a new start in a beautiful part of Pennsylvania.

Thanks!

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Moving to Jefferson or Clearfield County from Montgomery County

I used to live in DuBois (ironically, I moved to Montco in '94 but have moved back to Western Pa.) and still get home to visit family and friends pretty regular and follow the local news some.

I can't comment on the local cops/sheriffs as haven't had any dealings with them. There are not as many PD's in the area compared to Montco, the PSP cover most of it. The area has it's share of crime (not a lot but it's there and mostly drug related) but you won't see daily shootings on TV as you do with the Philly stations. Just last week a PSP trooper (and friend) was shot while serving a warrant in Brockway.

I don't know where you are planning to live but you really need to realize that you will NOT have 3 Walmarts, a Home Depot/Lowes, Kohls, Target, 6 WaWa's and 2 dozen restaurants within 5 minutes of your home. Winter arrives early and stays late. Expect snow anytime after October 15 and maybe into late April. Learn to drive on snow and ice, they do NOT clear the roads as fast or as often as they do in Montco.

Plenty of gunshops, Grice's and Bob's in Clearfield, Mahoning Valley Milling in Punxsy, LB Toney in DuBois, Shooter's Shack between DuBois and Brockway, Elk County Ammo and Arms in St. Marys, and there is another one outside of Punxsy, Ruhls (?) Ruhfs (?) Farm Supply.

Plenty of sportsmans clubs around, DuBois Rifle and Pistol has a indoor range and very active junior program, All Seasons Trap and Skeet at Luthersburg, there is a Jefferson County Longrifle club. I belong to Pa. Wildlife Habitat Club Unlimited (http://pawildlifehabitat.org/), just north of Sabula. No range but they do a lot of stuff including the Clearfield Youth Field Day and hosting a Youth Pheasant Hunt. Plus a lot of habitat work on Medix run and with the PGC.

There is a range on the Gamelands just north of DuBois off 219.

Dale

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the recommendations. The range off of 219 north of DuBois, is it one of the state ranges where you can't have more than three rounds in a magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I don't know where you are planning to live but you really need to realize that you will NOT have 3 Walmarts, a Home Depot/Lowes, Kohls, Target, 6 WaWa's and 2 dozen restaurants within 5 minutes of your home. Winter arrives early and stays late. Expect snow anytime after October 15 and maybe into late April. Learn to drive on snow and ice, they do NOT clear the roads as fast or as often as they do in Montco.
    Rest assured, I get it, dude. I'm moving from Montco, but I'm not FROM Montco - I grew up in a town that was 90 square miles and we got our first traffic light when I was in high school, so I understand rural life and I'm fine with it. It will be a nice change of pace for me.

(Somerset County)

Yeah, it's a State Game Lands range, so 3 rounds and you need a permit or hunting license. It does have a roof over the benches. With only a few holes that the idiots put there.

I should have added that there are other sportsman clubs in both counties, I'm just not familiar with them anymore.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; October 5th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKlinger View Post
    Hey folks,

Well I'm moving out west, from Montgomery County to either Jefferson or Clearfield counties.

How do you find the climate is among law enforcement and local government (courts, district attorneys) for the area?

What is the process like for getting an LTCF in Jefferson or Clearfield?

Any good ranges in the area? Anything else I should know?

Looking forward to a new start in a beautiful part of Pennsylvania.

Thanks!
    The local LEO and government climate is gun friendly. But there can be that one officer who isn't. The Clearfield Co sheriff's office likes to make you wait for your LTCF, and one of the courthouse doormen/guards have been known to give people grief about checking a firearm(be there, done that). JeffCo's sheriff issues over the counter, doesn't give you attitude, will sign NFA, and will do private transfers. ...he is also a gun dealer on the side, and has a gun shop at his house not far from the road that you take to Rugh's Farm Supply down near Punxy.

The one and only time I've had a issue with local police and carrying is when I was 19 or 20 and was OC'n down Main St in Brookville. One of the borough officers saw me, as I crossed in front of him, then pulled off all catty-wampus and jumped out of the car. He started giving me shit and wanting me to hand over my revolver. Fortunately the it all took place damn near right in front of the courthouse and the sheriff just happened to be outside talking to someone. He walked over and told the officer to back off because I wasn't breaking any laws. ...that was 21-22 years ago.

Ranges.. You're either going to be going to a PAGC range or a sportsmans club range. The only other range is a members only, which you have to qualify to use the range when you join. At first you are limited to 22rimfire only, then you have to qualify to use large rounds. And it is limited to standard pistol cartridges. However, if you make friendly with the natives - you might get invited to use their personal ranges. Most farms have their own range in these parts of the state.

Political climate - the overall area is conservative, but DuBois and Clarion tend to have liberal leanings(city sized areas with colleges). However that liberal leaning tends to be more conservative than a Republican of Philly.

Lots of places to hunt and fish if those are your thing to do. The night-life is rather limited to your standard types of bars.

Housing isn't all that bad price-wise compared to urban areas. You can still buy a house for $10K on up to $30K for one needing some work. Rentals usually start around $300 for a single/two bedroom, then go up about $150 per bedroom after that.

Employment - there really isn't much unless you're into service or sales related work. Factory jobs dont stay available long before they are filled. And some factories only open jobs to relatives of current employees. The medical industry is pretty strong though, so if you're a nurse, doctor, or technician of some sort - you can almost guaranty yourself a job. Payscales tend to be lower in the area, but cost of living is lower too. If you have no/little debt - the average person's wage can live comfortably and afford some luxuries.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

you could ask some of the l gun shops like grices

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like I'm going to be in Jefferson County. What are the rules for changing over one's LTCF?

What are some of the sportsmen's clubs in the area that might be open to new members?

Thanks!