Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Interesting twist on Interstate travel gun laws

From what I am taking from the article, the people in this car had Colorado's version of the ltcf, were traveling through California, stopped to make the gun compliant to the law since California does not recognize Colorado's ltcf, and someone accidently got shot.

Yes there was operator error, but one of the things I'm taking away from this story is that overbearing gun laws screw honest people trying to follow the law putting them in additional danger, and don't touch the people who don't care about the law and would ignore making the gun complaint to travel through California.

Let an honest citizen keep their gun at their side and not start messing around with it and this would not have happened. Make honest citizens jump through hoops to comply with the law and you create many extra steps where things can go wrong.

http://www.desertdispatch.com/articl...ipton-one.html

One passenger shot when handing gun to another

NIPTON • A vehicle passenger was shot in the shoulder Friday when a handgun fired as he handed it to a person in the back seat.
    The incident was reported to authorities at 10:50 a.m. on Interstate 15 near Nipton Road, not far from the California-Nevada border, according to Barstow California Highway Patrol Officer Don Spiker.
    “We had four people driving from Colorado to Southern California,” Spiker said.

A man in his 50s sitting in the front passenger seat handed the gun to the driver’s wife, also in her 50s and sitting in the left rear passenger seat.
    “When he handed the gun to the wife of the driver,” Spiker said, “she unholsters it, doesn’t know it’s loaded and shoots through the right front passenger seat into (him).”
    The bullet lodged into the man’s left shoulder, Spiker said.
    At a center divider, the driver U-turned and traveled the other way when he found a parked CHP vehicle. The officer had been writing a ticket.

The officer then performed medical aid to the wounded man, Spiker said.
    A CHP helicopter flew the man to a Las Vegas hospital for treatment.
    Spiker said the motorists were likely trying to comply with state law when the incident occurred.

“They had concealed weapon permits in Colorado,” Spiker said. “Those don’t apply in all states. We don’t recognize that.”
    Motorists with out-of-state permits must carry their weapon in the most rear part of the vehicle and separate it from ammunition.
    “They knew it and tried to do the responsible thing,” he said.
    The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department was investigating

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Interesting twist on Interstate travel gun laws

I think there is a weird law in Indiana about CC and operating/occupying a motor vehicle, where the carrier has to have the gun not on his person while driving, causing an impossible situation where you have to exit the car, reach in to retrieve the weapon and holster it, meanwhile trying not to be seen and not violating the law by exposing the weapon in the process.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I think there is a weird law in Indiana about CC and operating/occupying a motor vehicle, where the carrier has to have the gun not on his person while driving, causing an impossible situation where you have to exit the car, reach in to retrieve the weapon and holster it, meanwhile trying not to be seen and not violating the law by exposing the weapon in the process.
    Nothing here to corroborate your statement although vehicle carry requires a CCW very similar to Pa. Do you have some source????

OC afoot is legal in IN so exposing is not an issue.
    IANAL

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I think that Ohio was that way until a couple years ago.

(Franklin County)

I do something similar every time I come and go through Maryland. The routine is I stop on the side of the road or a parking lot or a rest area and unholster, unload and box it up. Last night I drove to VA to look at a motorcycle I'm thinking of buying and I stopped four times in four hours to either load or unload. It's truly a ridiculous situation for those of us who live near a state line..
    That said, I never let someone else do it for me.
    I'd like to take the governor of MD for a drive with me on a trip from PA to VA or WV and back so he can witness me stop at school bus turnarounds, rest areas and gas station parking lots and legally retrieve my firearm from the trunk and stand there in public loading and unloading it. I wonder how he would feel knowing people are doing this because of him.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

I've done the same thing numerous times on trips back and forth to VA where a good friend lives. I think the MD gov would be HAPPY that the laws created this much hassle for law abiding people. Perhaps the design is to make it such a PIA that we stop carrying all together.

I also get to play a similar game with motorcycle helmets too..............thanks govs!

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I do something similar every time I come and go through Maryland. The routine is I stop on the side of the road or a parking lot or a rest area and unholster, unload and box it up. Last night I drove to VA to look at a motorcycle I'm thinking of buying and I stopped four times in four hours to either load or unload. It's truly a ridiculous situation for those of us who live near a state line..
    That said, I never let someone else do it for me.
    I'd like to take the governor of MD for a drive with me on a trip from PA to VA or WV and back so he can witness me stop at school bus turnarounds, rest areas and gas station parking lots and legally retrieve my firearm from the trunk and stand there in public loading and unloading it. I wonder how he would feel knowing people are doing this because of him.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    I think the MD gov would be HAPPY that the laws created this much hassle for law abiding people. Perhaps the design is to make it such a PIA that we stop carrying all together.
    That would be the point of inviting him along, so he can see that his laws are not keeping people from having firearms in MD, they are just making law abiding citizens stop along the roads to "fiddle" with our firearm when we should just be able to leave it safely in the holster where it belongs.
    Maybe the federal firearm transport laws need to be amended to say "If you are legal in the place you left and legal in the place you are going, you are legal anyplace in between." and to hell with all the communist states, just mind your business and pass right on through. If you choose to live there, that's your fault.
    Last edited by ray h; September 29th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.