Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mercy killing?

(Washington County)

Default Re: mercy killing?

If you notice he's dropping weight. The only "legal" thing to do is call the PGC and see what they say about it.

(Centre County)

Moral and legal may be different things. If you kept a pet like that, I am sure you would be jailed for animal abuse. In that case euthanasia is OK.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    Moral and legal may be different things. If you kept a pet like that, I am sure you would be jailed for animal abuse. In that case euthanasia is OK.
    Why take a chance at a 1500 dollar fine and loss of license when it can be taken care of morally and legally by making a phone call?
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    Why take a chance at a 1500 dollar fine and loss of license when it can be taken care of morally and legally by making a phone call?
    I've never shot a deer, nor anything else living. (No hunting license.) But it seems to me that there's a decent chance the deer might not be easily found by the time a WCO gets there.

So it's not a simple dichotomy between OP shooting it and WCO shooting it, there's a third possibility of OP calling it in but the animal escaping to suffer another day (or week). I'm not suggesting that justifies breaking the law, just that it seems more complicated than how you're describing it.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I've never shot a deer, nor anything else living. (No hunting license.) But it seems to me that there's a decent chance the deer might not be easily found by the time a WCO gets there.

So it's not a simple dichotomy between OP shooting it and WCO shooting it, there's a third possibility of OP calling it in but the animal escaping to suffer another day (or week). I'm not suggesting that justifies breaking the law, just that it seems more complicated than how you're describing it.
    Here's a perfect example: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...ter-store.html

I was listening to this on the scanner when it happened. The only RWO that was in the area was more than 30 minutes away and he didn't even grant the officers permission to shoot the deer. Meanwhile the deer is badly injured and did a lot of damage to a restaurant that was under construction. Nevermind that it was right beside a major highway. Had it gotten out of the building in that 30 minutes, it could have caused some accidents as it tried to run across the highway.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Here's a perfect example: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...ter-store.html

I was listening to this on the scanner when it happened. The only RWO that was in the area was more than 30 minutes away and he didn't even grant the officers permission to shoot the deer. Meanwhile the deer is badly injured and did a lot of damage to a restaurant that was under construction. Nevermind that it was right beside a major highway. Had it gotten out of the building in that 30 minutes, it could have caused some accidents as it tried to run across the highway.
    [sidebar]

Then Warfel was able to get close enough to kill the injured animal with a special copper powder bullet he shot with a .357-caliber handgun.
    WCOs use frangible handgun bullets?

[/sidebar]
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    What would you do?
    I know what I'm doing if I see that deer tomorrow.
    Attachment 55945
    Attachment 55946
    Attachment 55947

Just saw this deer fifteen minutes ago.
    I thought he had a drop antler, but then I saw it swinging.
    His back legs are busted up. Looked like his back left was hanging....sad.
    He must have just gotten hit.

I will call my WCO, he's close by, but honestly I don't think he will bother.
    I had a similar situation when I was stationed in NC. I didn't have a doe tag but there was a doe missing most of her lower jaw. I called the hotline # on the back of my license and they gave me a control # and permission to shoot it out of season as long as I was where I could legally hunt. When I shot her and called in to report the harvest (with the control #) the DNR came out and took the deer and gave me a replacement tag so I could continue hunting.

That deer was very emaciated and had some serious infections going on.... Very sad that someone tried to be fancy and went for the "head shot" and blew her jaw apart.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12