Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Speedloader tips?

Aside from practice, practice, practice - do you have any tips on optimizing the use of a speed loader to reload a revolver quickly and safely?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Speedloader tips?

That's about it. There are a few techniques. Find what works best.
    Fastest though I'd to get your cylinder cut for moons.

(Jefferson County)

Make sure you have a set of grips that does not interfere with the use of a speedloader. Today's fatter rubber grips and some oversized aftermarket wood grips tend to get into the way of a speedloader.

If your speedloader doesn't fully seat on the breechface end of the cylinder because of the grip - the speedloader will be hit/miss in smooth operation and loading.

I've found that with most revolvers made today - speedstrips are much faster because of the grips.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Aside from practice, practice, practice - do you have any tips on optimizing the use of a speed loader to reload a revolver quickly and safely?
    There are different types/brands of speed loaders that operate in different ways. Also how is the speed loader carried?
    As for practice,
    there is the speed in unloading the speed loader into the revolver
    there is the speed in the initial grab of the speed loader and getting it to the
    revolver.

There used to be all types of cases/pouches by different makers when everyone carried revolvers some were secure but not too fast, some were fast but not as secure.

i have a friend who is a retired State Trooper and retired right around when semi-autos became issued duty guns. He's actually faster with his speed loader and revolver set up because there is no hesitation and his movements are precise and simple. At the range he is faster then 90% of the other shooters loading magazines. I'm very quick but not in his league.

So practice is OK but don't practice garbage. Have a good system and practice
    precise, economical moves.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I've found that with most revolvers made today - speedstrips are much faster because of the grips.
    While I am often in agreement with the things Knight says, I have to take genuine exception to the above statement - even with the grips qualifier.

I have been shooting revolvers in IDPA and USPSA for more than a year, and there is no way a speed strip is faster than a speedloader. I think you would also be hard pressed to find many grips, commonly used on today's revolvers, that would interfere with speedloader use.

You really aren't specific enough in your OP to make any recommendations. Is this for concealed carry for SD? Or is this for competition? Do you weak hand or strong hand load your revolver? For comp you would want open top holders with loaders that are easy to grab, i.e. Safariland Comp III's or equivalent. For CC, something more secure in the way of holders and lower profile in the way of loaders.

If speed is the main concern, other than practicing with whatever set-up you choose, I'd recommend some type of speedloader other than HKS or those that operate similarly. These require two separate motions to use - insert and then twist a knob. Safariland (and others) are simple one motion - insert and press forward - shells are released by the loader pushing against the extractor star - and in the case of Comp III's actually pushed into the cylinder by springs (others all rely on gravity).

All that being said, as alluded to by Armor Snail, full moons are the fastest. If this is a .38/.357 and you have it cut for moons (TK Custom) you really need to use the expensive moonclips (Hearthco or TK's own - about $5 - $7 each), as opposed to the cheapies - which are fine for short & stout cartridges (.45 ACP or .40 S&W).

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; September 29th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Watch videos of Jerry Miculek in slow motion and do what he does.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    You really aren't specific enough in your OP to make any recommendations. Is this for concealed carry for SD? Or is this for competition? Do you weak hand or strong hand load your revolver? For comp you would want open top holders with loaders that are easy to grab, i.e. Safariland Comp III's or equivalent. For CC, something more secure in the way of holders and lower profile in the way of loaders.
    I was too ignorant of the subject to be aware of the specifics. Strong hand draw, weak hand reload. Gun to be use primarily for home/at night SD. Occasional carry. It is an SP101 .32 magnum. Speed loader is HK but I can purchase additional ones. The holster is the stock Triple K sold form Ruger's store. Thanks...!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I was too ignorant of the subject to be aware of the specifics. Strong hand draw, weak hand reload. Gun to be use primarily for home/at night SD. Occasional carry. It is an SP101 .32 magnum. Speed loader is HK but I can purchase additional ones. The holster is the stock Triple K sold form Ruger's store. Thanks...!
    You will probably be hard pressed to find anything but HKS (knob, twist-type) for .32 mag. and the HKS dual holders should suffice just fine.

I found a great post about this topic on another forum, but it all relates to strong hand reloading, so not relevant for your case. I am right handed and just do not think that I am manually dexterous enough to do a weak hand load quickly, plus I was initially taught the strong hand load and it's tough to teach an old (emphasis on old) dog new tricks. Just keep practicing.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Could take look at getting the cylinder cut for moonclips and/or a polish on the chambers also. What I like about the speed strips is the flat profile.
    Last edited by dkf; September 30th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

(Berks County)

Check this out:
    http://youtu.be/oXUwI_d8JlA

If that link fails, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

I use this technique and it seems natural, to me anyway.
    Last edited by dp2002; October 1st, 2013 at 02:59 AM.