Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Magpul MBUS Pro AR-15 Steel Iron Sights Review

Lots of gun owners aren't a fan of polymer; bottom line. The merits of that mindset can be debated for days without reaching a conclusion but the fact remains. Magpul has released a set of all steel back up iron sights to satisfy the desires of those steel-loving devotees. Here's what I've found so far with them....

Pros:
    -Priced lower than comparable competitors steel back up sights. MSRP is $105 for the rear, $85 for the front.
    -They have a melonited surface finish treatment that hardens them for durability and also provides corrosion resistance.
    -All adjustments can be made without tools but the likelihood of them being accidently moved is low in my opinion (see the video for a demonstration of why)
    -Very slim and sleek design but they're still standard AR height.
    -Front sight is a great option for those with a railed gas block.
    -Can be mounted on any 1913/STANAG rail.
    -Rear sight is 1.8oz, front sight is 1.5 oz.
    -Dual apertures on the rear.
    -Serrations around the rear aperture and on the sides of the front sight reduce the likelihood of glare impacting your sight picture when shooting in bright sunlight.
    -Magpul is a company that stands behind their products and you can be sure great CS will be there if you ever need it.

Cons:
    -Cost. $190 is a tough pill to swallow when many of us have never had the slightest issue with our MBUS Gen2s.
    -They're MIM. I don't mind this but I know lots of folks do so it's worth mentioning.

All in all I think they'll sell well and they'll cause their competitors to re-consider their pricing strategies if they want to stay relevant in the marketplace. In the video below you'll see them in action, close ups of all the features, and a discussion of the pros in cons.

Default Re: Magpul MBUS Pro AR-15 Steel Iron Sights Review

Watched the vid earlier today.

I like the small size and how they contour to rail. I do think it would be nice if the sights locked into place and you have to push a lever to release. That way if you use them as irons without an optic you don't have to worry about knocking them closed.

I have a set coming to me this week.

Great review. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Watched the vid earlier today.

I like the small size and how they contour to rail. I do think it would be nice if the sights locked into place and you have to push a lever to release. That way if you use them as irons without an optic you don't have to worry about knocking them closed.
    I think they didn't go that route for increased impact resistance but who knows...?

^^^agreed.
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.