Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default SBR Glock 17C Form 1 screw up?

Hi all. I recently submitted several months ago my SBR Glock 17C on a ATF Form 1. I must make clear that this is my first experience completing a F1 and tried researching as much as possible the needed info on form. All I am asking for/applying for is the ability of attaching a Mako Group Industries stock to weapon and manufacturing a Title I firearm into a Title II firearm.

My concern is this after a lot of thought : I've always heard about the necessities of 'engraving' a NFA item with the correct info of the person, location or organization making a Title II firearm into the weapon. I purchased the handgun and applied for a NFA manafaccture to SBR.

Will my Form 1 be kicked back to me because I did not engrave it with my name and place of manufacture?

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: SBR Glock 17C Form 1 screw up?

The ATF has no way of knowing if you engraved your weapon before/during/after Form submission/approval, short of showing up in person to inspect it. With you being the manufacture it is your responsibility to complete the process and have it engraved.

I have done all 3 options myself; engrave before, engrave during, and engrave a day or 2 after approval. There is no set law as to when, just that its needs done.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Chester County)

It needs done PRIOR to you putting the stock on.

(Montgomery County)

I could be wrong about some of this so if anyone knows differently, please chime in.

I believe once the form 1 is approved it is officially a title 2 weapon and as such you are then much more limited in who does the engraving. At that point only you or an SOT can legally possess it so no dropping it off at a random engraver or sending it off for engraving. You will need to be present when it gets engraved or will need a class 3 dealer to do the engraving if you are not going to be present.

Again, someone chime in if any of this is incorrect.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    The ATF has no way of knowing if you engraved your weapon before/during/after Form submission/approval, short of showing up in person to inspect it. With you being the manufacture it is your responsibility to complete the process and have it engraved.

I have done all 3 options myself; engrave before, engrave during, and engrave a day or 2 after approval. There is no set law as to when, just that its needs done.
    Thanks for your .02! I will make sure this is done to be in the clear.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTHIS View Post
    I could be wrong about some of this so if anyone knows differently, please chime in.

I believe once the form 1 is approved it is officially a title 2 weapon and as such you are then much more limited in who does the engraving. At that point only you or an SOT can legally possess it so no dropping it off at a random engraver or sending it off for engraving. You will need to be present when it gets engraved or will need a class 3 dealer to do the engraving if you are not going to be present.

Again, someone chime in if any of this is incorrect.
    Quick question though. What if the engraver is a Class 3 Dealer or Type II manufacturer? I would assume this would be ok? Or What if I did the hammer and chiseling myself?

(Blair County)

also you should not have the stock till you get the stamp in hand

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post

One point - getting it engraved before "stamp in hand" is slightly easier than after... Although you're dealing with a firearm, it isn't NFA yet, so a "transfer" to an engraver is less of an issue if you have to leave it overnight.

As for "shouldn't have the stock"... If the ATF is searching your house, you did something wrong . But for simplicity's sake, give it to friend/family in a secure wrapper and be done with it.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Lehigh County)

Since the lower is to be the registered part on a G17C (receiver), can a normal gunsmith stamp be used or does one have to use a special 'polymer' stamp due to Glock's having plastic lowers? Will metal stamps 'hurt' Glock lowers or mess up impressions?

Or can this be done using a metal bit and a Dremel and using freehand?

(Lehigh County)

I just got back today from Pottstown from a local business there called Laserworx. 236 W. High Street and I wanted to leave some feedback from my experience there and couldn't be any happier! Jim and Steve we're great and the NFA engraving with the new laser machine looks top notch and spot on. Highly recommend their services. I had my SBR Glock 17C done up and really like the finished product! Keep it up gentleman!