Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving to Mansfield

So i posted under the general forum the other day, I have decided that i am going to be moving out of New York (Chemung county) to finish up school and plan on going to Mansfield next fall semester, and not really familiar with the area, and was wondering if there was any good shooting ranges, and if there was any good gun shops in the area (not really looking for the wall-marts/dicks/bass pro type of shops)

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Moving to Mansfield

Cooper's Sporting Goods right in the heart of Mansfield at the intersection of Wellsboro and Main Streets.

There is a Walmart south on Main Street.

While at Cooper's, you can get a membership to Lambs Creek Sportsman's Club.
    http://www.lambscreeksc.org/

MikeP

(Tioga County)

The local ranges I am not familiar with as I shoot on private land. I might join one for longer range shooting since I only have limited space for that.

I know there is also the Cowanesque Club:

http://www.cvrodandgunclub.com/

In regards to gun stores, Cooper's in Mansfield is pretty much the one. He will handle FFL transfers as well for $30. Right now he still has a hard time getting in handgun ammo but when he does he sells it as a fair price.

There is also Ackley's in Westfield. I've never been too impressed with Ackley's. They've really hammed up drama from last December with overpriced ammo and guns. They have a larger selection of hunting rifles than Cooper's but the pistols are usually used and a sparse selection at that. Ammo is overpriced if he has it. I've been in there a bunch of times and never seen anything I wanted and especially at the price offered. I would check it out though.

About 45 minutes away is Jim's in Canton. Jim's has a large selection of hunting rifles and shotguns. He also has new pistols and ammo. Ammo tends to be pricey.

Down in Jersey Shore is National Sporting Goods. If you want a new Glock or Sig, they have a great selection at good prices. They have a large selection of rifles of all types, other pistols, ammo, scopes, accessories, etc. I find prices here range from way overpriced to right on the money to a bargain.

I think there are other stores in Coudersport and Troy but have never been to them.

The only box store I go to down in the Williamsport area is Gander Mountain.

There is a Wal Mart in Mansfield. They have some guns but getting ammo of certain types there is like winning the lottery.

Overall this is a rural area with 2 towns of 3000 people in the county. But due to the amount of tourists that come through here and part time cabin owners there is plenty of shopping and restaurants and other services. If you like outdoor activities this is the place. Other than hunting and fishing, there is hiking, biking riding on the Pine Creek Trail, kayaking in the spring on Pine Creek and lakes the rest of the time, skiing(downhill and cross country), snowshoeing, etc. I never lack for anything to do year round outdoors.

thanks for all the good info, especially about all the other good outdoor things in the area,

(Tioga County)

Hunters supply In Knoxville has ammo but no 22RF as of yesterday. Modest supply of rifles and pistols. IF there is something in particular your looking for (814 326-4157)
    USNRET '61-'81

(Tioga County)

Ackley's is just not the store it was when the original family owned it. They took it from a one room store to the building that you see now. That owner sold to the current owner and it's gone down hill ever since. Now Hunter's Supply in Knoxville is a good up and coming outfit. Their store at the moment is small but they are looking to move to a larger store in the near future. There is also a few shops in Williamsport which is only about 45 minutes south of Mansfield.

(Tioga County)

It seems to me I recall reading students at MU are required to stay in the dorm. with few exceptions. are you married?
    USNRET '61-'81

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Ackley's is just not the store it was when the original family owned it. They took it from a one room store to the building that you see now. That owner sold to the current owner and it's gone down hill ever since. Now Hunter's Supply in Knoxville is a good up and coming outfit. Their store at the moment is small but they are looking to move to a larger store in the near future. There is also a few shops in Williamsport which is only about 45 minutes south of Mansfield.
    I didn't know the story but my gut feeling was that the current owner was not the original owner and I guess that proved to be true.

I've heard about the place in Knoxville but don't know where it is and have not been to it. Tried to find it one time in snowstorm but missed it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    It seems to me I recall reading students at MU are required to stay in the dorm. with few exceptions. are you married?
    i will be a transfer student so im hoping that i wont have to live on campus at that point (and i will be 27 when i get there) so im really not trying to live on campus with 17yr olds

(Tioga County)

In Knoxville the shop is now known as Beikirch's Hunter Supply and is located right on Main Street across the street from the bank. My understanding is that by next spring they will be moving to Elkland into the old Western Auto Store. While there you can pickup applications for a membership to the range in Elkland. $15 a year new ones are out and are good until October of next year.
    Last edited by dodge; September 30th, 2013 at 09:48 AM.