Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default SQL Certification?

Thought I'd post this here in case anyone could help me out.

I think it will help my career a lot to learn how to use SQL, and perhaps get certification. I have not used it much up to this point, but I understand the basics of databases, and have always been able to learn quickly.

Only problem is I'm not sure where to start.

Since I'm a beginner, would it be best to start off taking classes for certification?

Can anyone recommend a good place to start? -- I am in the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: SQL Certification?

Classes are always good, but you can teach yourself too. If you have ms access or SQL server you can build queries with their tools and look at the underlying SQL. SQL really isn't need though if you want to do analytical work. My partner gets data from our database using Crystal reports, or Access and he doesn't know any SQL... He's been doing it that way for about 12 years
    Last edited by SteveXD; May 7th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.

(Allegheny County)

i'd suggest starting off with the more general concept of relational database systems management and querying databases.

there isn't actually a whole lot to SQL (Structured Query Language) itself.

the crux of the issue is being able to analyze data, figure out the most efficient way to store it, and develop the logic to pull the relevant data (without a bunch of extraneous data) from the database.

this logic is not dependent on SQL, though SQL is a great tool for building the logic. but, knowing SQL will be meaningless without understanding the more fundamental concept of relational database structures and querying relational databases.

one of my classes in college used a wonderful book that really taught all of this very well (and also taught SQL), but i cannot remember what it was called--and, by now, that book is close to 20 years old. i prolly still have the book at home somewhere...i will see if i can find it and post its name and author.

in the meantime, though, i suggest just googling "relational database management" or "relational database query" and getting started on learning the fundamentals.

here are a few web pages i found quickly that at least start to cover the fundamentals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020522.htm

You must remember there are different databases, not all of them are standard with SQL 92 or even try to define their own standards. One thing I must mention are the engine proprietary languages which are contained within the SQL server you're using. Whether this be PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Firebird, or MsSQL, there are different procedural languages for each, and a couple of them like PostgreSQL have the capability to use Python from within the engine.

If you go for a certification, most likely it will be MsSQL based. I don't think that stuff is worth it to be certified. People want experience, not just a piece of paper. Though I don't know how a person should start, getting in to stuff just for fun usually leads to jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post

I think it will help my career a lot to learn how to use SQL, and perhaps get certification. I have not used it much up to this point, but I understand the basics of databases, and have always been able to learn quickly.

Since I'm a beginner, would it be best to start off taking classes for certification?

Thanks!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post

Thanks!
    SQL Is really not hard and if you learn basic SQL you can apply it to most other relational Databases provided they are SQL compliant. It is learning the DB platform specific stuff that you will need to pay attention to.

Training will be expensive, if you got the dough good.

Figure out what platform you want to use and run with that.
    Access is easy if you have MS Office but really not so great for more then a few users.

Sql Server 2005 (Express)also has a free desktop version. Microsoft Sql Server is very easy you can download the db engine for free

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/default.mspx

look for the download free box. you will need to search for the Managment Studio too so you can easily access the database.

once you get the DB engine go get a book, spend some time in the book store find a book with lots of samples and something you can start.

MySql is popular and free http://www.mysql.com

(Delaware County)

Lemme feed the baby 1st and ill send you some test material

(Northampton County)

If you really want starters get a SQL for Dummies book.

(Chester County)

well, what do you want to do with it, specifically?

Do you just want to manage and optimize it, with the idea of building and maintaining farms or clusters of them?
    Do you want to build a DB and web pages that query it?
    do you want to build a db app that works more interactively with the db?

it all really depends on what your goals are...

(Delaware County)

ok back...

PM me your email address

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    well, what do you want to do with it, specifically?

Do you just want to manage and optimize it, with the idea of building and maintaining farms or clusters of them?
    Do you want to build a DB and web pages that query it?
    do you want to build a db app that works more interactively with the db?

it all really depends on what your goals are...
    That's a good question.

I've been doing a lot of work with electronic document review for litigation, lately (both as an attorney, and as a project manager for a technology company) and have decided that I want to get deeper into the technology side. So managing and optimization sounds right, for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast