Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antlerless Deer

(Montgomery County)

Default Antlerless Deer

I am going to be hunting this season for deer for the first time. I have a hunting license and an antelrless deer tag. I've read the PA hunting digest 3 or 4 times and believe I have a clear understanding of the minimum requirement for an "antlered" deer (the 3 point on one side rule).

Are there any restriction on an anterless deer?

If there is not, is there a general approach hunters take to antlerless deer. Is there a minimum size that is ethical / generally accepted?

Any other newby pointers are welcome.....
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

Default Re: Antlerless Deer

There are no rules about antlerless deer as far as size. Sometimes it's hard to judge the size of a deer if the are alone and far away. I've shot some yearlings when I was younger thinking they were bigger. It was a bummer walking up and seeing a little one. I let the small ones walk, but I've also shot a lot of deer. They are perfectly legal to shoot so don't feel bad for shooting one if you want to. Button bucks also count as antlerless. My son shot one a few years back, it was his second deer. I wouldn't have been more excited if it was a 10 pointer. One way to judge a small deer is by their head. Their face looks shorter. Compare yearlings to adult deer and you will see what I mean. Good luck.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    There are no rules about antlerless deer as far as size. Sometimes it's hard to judge the size of a deer if the are alone and far away. I've shot some yearlings when I was younger thinking they were bigger. It was a bummer walking up and seeing a little one. I let the small ones walk, but I've also shot a lot of deer. They are perfectly legal to shoot so don't feel bad for shooting one if you want to. Button bucks also count as antlerless. My son shot one a few years back, it was his second deer. I wouldn't have been more excited if it was a 10 pointer. One way to judge a small deer is by their head. Their face looks shorter. Compare yearlings to adult deer and you will see what I mean. Good luck.
    What yoder said. The small ones have a cone like head and snout where a mature doe has a longer slender snout. If you like em tender shoot a smalk one and if you want more meat look for mama.

(York County)

I just saw a deer that still has spots, there will be some very small deer out there this bow season

(Montgomery County)

I was out yesterday and saw one that was just now getting rid of its spots.

I use my gut feeling on a deer. If I have to think about shooting or not because it might be too small I usually don't.

The other thing you might consider is if you're paying someone to butcher the deer you don't want to pay for a small one.

any hunter in our group who shot small deer is accused of shooting a "dog" and will be subject to ridicule for the rest of the season. this usually consists of barking at the individual when they return to camp and numerous other k9 references. all in good fun of course.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

Last time I brought in Vealison, the butcher had a guy dropping off a MASSIVE 12 point buck, Huge. I was kind of embarassed to bring in that lil guy but he said, hey that buck will eat like shoe leather, gimme a yearling any day of the week for juicy tenderness.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Smile Re: Antlerless Deer

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Last time I brought in Vealison, the butcher had a guy dropping off a MASSIVE 12 point buck, Huge. I was kind of embarassed to bring in that lil guy but he said, hey that buck will eat like shoe leather, gimme a yearling any day of the week for juicy tenderness.
    Out of several permits we get,always take one small deer and have it entirely cut into veal thin slices,they melt like butter in the fry pan.

(York County)

I usually take one yearling also but around the 70 pound range, I saw some tonight that didn't weigh 40

I usually try to steer clear of the small ones but, like its been said before, sometimes its hard to tell. I also hate walking up and seeing "severe ground shrinkage"........I also try to avoid shooting button bucks if I can (if close enough to tell).
    In the Land of the Blind,the One Eyed Man is King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast