Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default New gun owner - question about 442

Hello, folks.

I recently purchased my first firearm, and I've been obsessed with them ever since. Not dangerously obsessed, but I'm kind of in love.

I used to be afraid of them; even hate them. But after a close friend threw some scenarios at me, he had me feeling very vulnerable. Mildly helpless. So, I decided to join in on the fun.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all about peace and love, but these days..you can't really trust society. And I'll be damned if I'm ever in a situation where gun ownership could have saved mine, or a loved one's (or even a stranger's) life and it wasn't available.

But enough about all of that (GET ON TO THE QUESTION, RIGHT?).

I was a little concerned about my ammo being the slightest bit loose. I've done some research and it appears to be "normal," but I wanna be 100% sure.

I made a video, because I thought it would be easier (I made the video before posting here, so you'll hear some repeated info)-youtube video

Thanks, guys.

Default Re: New gun owner - question about 442

You're definitely new to camera usage, and you should never watch 'The Departed' when messing with guns. It's just too much adrenaline to deal with all at once.

It looks normal. Too tight and they wedge up against the breech face when a little burnt powder gets in the cylinder bores causing the cylinder to lock up (the rim gets wedged against the breech under recoil and won't let it spin so you can open it). If you're concerned it's too loose, let a local gun smith take a peek at it or someone experienced with that revolver.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cumberland County)

If you shake the gun back and forth those bitches should rattle. Every J frame I've ever owned.

Ok, maybe not rattle, but there is definitely movement, enough to make noise.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

Hahaha.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

(Northampton County)

Yeah, go get 'em, Killer.

Err...

I mean, "Go in peace"

They will swell up and get tight once you pull the trigger on them. It is completely normal. You might consider taking a class.

(Delaware County)

Lol @ungawa

Yeah, Pennsy, I had planned on it. My friend and I are gonna set something up.

Have any of you ever taken any classes?? How'd it go?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by poopshoot View Post
    Lol @ungawa

Yeah, Pennsy, I had planned on it. My friend and I are gonna set something up.

Have any of you ever taken any classes?? How'd it go?
    I know at least two of the four other than you in this thread have, and probably all of them.

You can also ask in the Training, Tactics & Competition section:

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...mpetition-107/

But here is fine. It's something you can get all wrapped up in three days or a week, for a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

However, since you have no history of familiarity with firearms, I think you would do very well with a half day or one day NRA handgun course. It will be very focused on safety. You are a person with no history of familiarity with firearms, so that will be very valuable. They will also teach you how to use and maintain the handgun, and possibly aspects of self-defense, depending on which course. It's not exactly SEAL training, but it's the part you need the most, and you can get it for $20 - $100, or maybe even free.

Additional defensive handgun training would be advised if you can make the time and get the money later.

(Northampton County)

Start here:

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
    4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

There is a laser coming out of your gun barrel. It must never cross another person. Even if it is not loaded.

(Delaware County)

I've got those, along with a bunch of other safety rules. The gun came with a little pamphlet, and the guy that sold it to me was going over some safety concerns (such as the rules).

He said they're all very important, but the one he couldn't stress enough was "Always keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until you are ready to fire."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast