Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Properly cleaning S&W Revolvers

I am new to owning and although I expected Youtube to have a plethora of great instructional vids on properly cleaning, I found many were not as thorough as I had hoped. I'm looking for details/suggestions for cleaning and maintaining a S&W 642CT. My S&W manual says follow the instructions provided by the cleaning kit and the cleaning kit says to follow the directions from gun manufacturer ... sigh ...

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Properly cleaning S&W Revolvers

Hoppes Number 9. Apply to toothbrush. Scrub away the black stuff. Finish clearing away black stuff with cotton patches or even paper towels.

Procure a barrel cleaning device. You may use a brass brush designed for this purpose, nylon brush, or even a Boresnake.

http://www.hoppes.com/boresnake

You can also use cotton patches pushed through the barrel with a rod and Hoppes Number 9, but typically you should clean from chamber to crown. Kinda hard to do that with a rod on a J frame. Boresnake works great. You can also use it to clean out the chambers in the cylinder.

If you shoot a lot of lead ( not copper jacketed) bullets we'll have to address a slightly more aggressive barrel cleaning, and there are also ways to clean up the cylinder face, which will get dirty and discolored over time.

For now stick to the basics, doesn't sound like you need to worry about all that yet.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Ignore the videos on how to remove the side plate, for the time being.
    No reason to open that can of worms.

is the rev. new or used? the q tips w/ wooden sticks helps clean the small areas. only have found them at Big Lots. suggestion, smithandwessonforum.com. a excellent forum/ http for info of your rev. if you have trouble finding the site IM me. several might come up. it has a blue front setup.

(Philadelphia County)

Don't forget to push the extractor and get under there with the tooth brush.

(Allegheny County)

I forget all the small details of cleaning -- different for revolvers/semis and of course there is the oil to be added after the cleaning and the spots to put that on the various firearms.

I pawn that job off to the husband, although i need to watch and learn also.

(Allegheny County)

Since revolvers can only be cleaned from the muzzle (unless using a boresnake, which I will only use for rimfires), I HIGHLY recommend investing in a muzzle protector to keep the cleaning rod from scraping the muzzle and damaging your crown.

(Cumberland County)

ben

Do yourself a favor. Pick up a short, one piece rod, brass or aluminum. I have a old aluminum one - not sure if anyone even makes those any more. The type with the loop at the end help for holding it. Get brass brush to caliber.

After shooting, I just give the piece a wipe to remove the surface residue. Then I wrap a patch around my brush, wet and scrub the chambers and bore. I shoot cast bullets and the patch collects the slight lead residue rather than my sleeves or the shooting bench. (no, the patch does not prevent the brush from scrubbing) I repeat till I'm satisfied. I use a small brass brush on the area of the proximal bore and top strap where I get a bit of carbon build up. I use a dry toothbrush to brush away any gunk from other nooks and crannies and the front of the cylinder. Swab the chambers and bore. One small drop of oil into moving parts areas. Any oil on my hands I just wipe onto the piece. (Balistol,non toxic). Ten minutes max.

One more thing. Leave the powder burns on the front of the cylinder. It gives a revolver character.

fritz
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(York County)

Thanks for the details! I bought it used and it sparkled in the glass case and when I took it to the range. I put 150 rounds through it and loved it. Definitely has a lot of kick being lightweight. I notice the bearing that the cylinder spins upon is not as smooth as I'd like it and even has a bit of a "squeak". Will likely need to oil that up soon too.

I use a Bore Snake. Cleaning the cylinder, I run the Bore Snake almost completely through a chamber and then thread the bronze end through the next chamber. That system ensures I get each chamber even if the cylinder indexes a bit.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast