Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thought all my problems were solved with the Goldenrod......(GUN SAFE QUESTION)

I just installed an electrical unit in my safe and added a Goldenrod (Liberty Safes version of it). Up until this point, I had been using a Remington electric rechargeable pack, along with about 3 Silica Gel boxes which must be recharged in the oven. I wanted a more reliable way of controlling humidity in the safe, along with a way to control it without always running the oven. That gets old real quick.

After installation of the Goldenrod, I am now reading on various forums (and called the company and they confirmed) that they would be careful about using it near wooden stocked guns as it can dry them out and damage them. To anyone using Goldenrod's, do you have wooden stocked guns in your safe? For now, I put one of mine with a wooden stock in a Bore Stores pouch.

I have a digital hygrometer in the safe and will check it in a day or so.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Thought all my problems were solved with the Goldenrod......(GUN SAFE QUESTION)

Meh grab some computer hard drive batteries and mount that puppy on metal away from any wood stocks up higher.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

Default Re: Thought all my problems were solved with the Goldenrod......(GUN SAFE QUESTION)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Meh grab some computer hard drive batteries and mount that puppy on metal away from any wood stocks up higher.
    You want to mount the rod as low as possible as heat rises. I have it on the floor of the safe.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    LOL, I think you mean magnets... cuz unless the OP has AR's that are battery powered, I don't think what you are suggesting will work quite as intended, LOL! =D

(Berks County)

Lol. Yea. Magnets. Sorry. Was talking to someone about batteries while typing.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Northampton County)

Heat does rise. But wet air is lighter than dry air and also rises. What are we to do?

(science riddle, rep for complete answer)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Heat does rise. But wet air is lighter than dry air and also rises. What are we to do?

(science riddle, rep for complete answer)
    Ah... I may be podunk stupid, but wet air is lighter than dry air? Whut?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

If I remember correctly, the goldenrod only raises the temp in the safe 5 deg or so. I keep guns w/wooden stocks in the safe and don't worry about them. The only thing I do is to keep a gun w/a synthetic stock next to it, so I don't worry about the gun getting pushed up against the heater.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    Ah... I may be podunk stupid, but wet air is lighter than dry air? Whut?
    Yes, wet air is lighter than dry air.

go with the goldenrod (mounted low) and http://www.opticsplanet.com/stack-on...130923213905:s
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast