Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Opinions on Taurus PT745?

I'm in the market for a new .45. My best option thus far seems to be the Taurus PT745. Anyone have any experience with this handgun? Good, bad, or otherwise? Any other guns I should consider that are compact and retail for $450 or less like the taurus? I personally don't desire to have high capacity, or a gun too big to easily conceal on me.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Opinions on Taurus PT745?

No real opinion on the Taurus. Never shot the .45 version.

The Glock G36 is pretty much the same size gun as the Taurus. Maybe look into one of them? I have shot the G36 and I really like it.

Gunbroker has at least 5 G36's at this time for under $450....most like new.

I'd take the Glock.

(Montgomery County)

I myself am interested in the PT145 - it is hardly any bigger than the 745 - 1/8" in most places. And yet it's capacity is 10+1 vs 6+1.

PT145 vs PT745
    Height: 5.125" vs 5.2"
    Width: 1.25" vs 1.125"
    Length: 6.125" vs 6"
    Weight: 22.2 oz vs 20.8 oz

And you can get either of them for under $300 (shipping and transfer cost will bring that up to about $350).

I am waiting to hear back from the place (Bud's Gun Shop online) about the PT145, but will be taking the plunge soon.

I am assuming that they are mostly similar, and have heard many good things about both.

hey guys ,,,i hear alot of questions about the pt-745,,,,well i own one and its a heck of a gun.great concealment weapon ,and light weight.accuracy and reliabiliyty is just rite.if you dont own one you should but note is that the glock has a laser site in the grip just a bit fatter but a superior gun than the pt745.the price of the glock is more money but if your tight in the pocket get the pt745,stay away from those sissy 9mm,the 45 will stop an attacker with the first round. its a good gun the taurus pt745....

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by tpm619 View Post
    hey guys ,,,i hear alot of questions about the pt-745,,,,well i own one and its a heck of a gun.great concealment weapon ,and light weight.accuracy and reliabiliyty is just rite.if you dont own one you should but note is that the glock has a laser site in the grip just a bit fatter but a superior gun than the pt745.the price of the glock is more money but if your tight in the pocket get the pt745,stay away from those sissy 9mm,the 45 will stop an attacker with the first round. its a good gun the taurus pt745....

Lordy...

I'm not touchin' this one.

(Allegheny County)

hmm, i struggle on how to respond to the comment about the 9mm being a sissy round. i don't care if someone shoots a .22 rimfire, or a .45...as long as they can shoot it accurately and enjoy the round that's good enough. i hear news report after news report of people being shot dead with a .22, so shot placement probably makes all the difference in the world.

Talking Re: Opinions on Taurus PT745?

Gentlemen (usig that term loosely on this site!),
    I have been researching compact .45's for about two weeks. Looked at price, size, concealment, reliability and toughness. While I am a fan of HK's and really like the glock (who wouldn't?) the overall winner is the Taurus 745.
    Can't beat the deal.
    By the way the dude that claims that the size of the round does not matter, it's the accuracy of the shot, well......my question to him would be just how accurate will he be when someone is pointing a weapon at him or shooting at him? Also, get shot in the arm with a .22, it hurts.... a .45 it dam near tears your arm off!! GET REAL DUDE! (:

(Franklin County)

I had the PT145.

I used it as my CC weapon for about 6 months. I put a few rounds down the pipe and didn't encounter a single problem. As for the compact size, it didn't seem to be an issue with the 45ACP. I was decently proficent with it at 20 yards.

I bought it used and still didn't run into any problems. I liked the idea of 11 rounds in a compact/subcompact.

I would buy another one again.

Edit: Dammit another Necro'd thread. I gotta pay attention more.

This is my first post on your site. I will post an introduction in a bit, but I wanted to comment on this particular weapon.

I own a Pt145 CA... which is basically a California Approved compact (which is is not applicable, at present time, I believe, the 745 is approved, but for some reason the 145 is not... my California contacts told me this, so if it is incorrect, please lay it on me... ), .45 cal. Taurus. It is a great gun, shoots well, has never presented any type of problem and I find it just as accurate as most short barrel, large caliber weapons. I will tell you that it will "rock your world" in the recoil department so don't buy this firearm if you are the least bit prone to disliking a bit of heavy recoil. I do not take it to the range for a day of fun and shooting. I take my 9's and .40's but this one is a bit hard on the hand. I do carry it, however, because frankly, if I ever have to pull the trigger on someone, I want to put a very large hole in them right off the bat and also, if you are ever in a real firefight... trust me... you will not notice the recoil. Having said all that, it is a very nice weapon and quality wise, I find it right up there with the XD's, Glocks and others in the line of compact shooters. It pretty much boils down to personal preference. I like it and it works for me... I recommend it.

I might mention that I own, shoot and carry a fairly wide variety of weapons from small wheel guns to larger tactical weapons in the .45 cal. range and this one provides the power and conceal-ability that I need.
    Bill Marx, Sr.; Free State Bail Bonds; South-side Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Lordy...

I'm not touchin' this one.
    hmm...uhm...yea...
    Last edited by harold63; January 24th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast