Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: If you were unhappy with an LGS would you go back if it had new owners?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if I knew it had new owners.

135 95.74%
  • No, I figure it's still tied to the old owner.

6 4.26%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Opening a new gun shop Feedback appreciated.

OK, as many of you know I have my FFL and I sell online. One of my fellow Troopers and long time friend is retiring in January. His dream, like mine has been to have a brick and mortar gun store. We're full of ideas and plans but reality (financial) is always a downer.

We have an opportunity to get a turn-key gun shop. It's small but has regular clientele. No real estate investment, being a lease. One of the issues is that the current owner has alienated some customers in the past. If you've been burned by a local gun store, will you go back if you know it has new owners?

How far will you travel for realistically priced guns or just to "see what they have"?

Besides guns and ammo, what do you want to see in your local gun store?

We'd love to be able to become the next Trop's or Grice's but can only do that by slowly building it. There's no way financially we can be a big player out of the gate.

I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible just to get some ideas to help make this thing successful.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Default Re: Opening a new gun shop Feedback appreciated.

I had a bad experience with a LGS and have never been back nor have I thought of looking back. Cabela's for me every time.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Northampton County)

Yes, I'd give it a shot.

The question is, how many people would know about the new ownership?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Yes, I'd give it a shot.

The question is, how many people would know about the new ownership?
    We'd definitely get the word out in the local paper. We're also planning on a website (his wife's field of endeavor) as well as whatever other creative marketing ideas we can come up with. We want to maintain a presence on Gunbroker to move stale merchandise.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Montgomery County)

Yes I would go back to a shop if they had new owners. Sometimes things don't change but one never knows unless he gives a try.

Things that most gun shops don't have are accessories. Things like glock trigger packages, sights, springs, other gun parts. I said glock but I would include others as well, at least the ones most popular.

Rifle accessories,we all know that those Ar15 are not well made and they need to be upgraded and accessorized. ;-)

A couple lines of holsters, some low level but also high end holsters.

Lots of mags.

Ammo is also big, not just target ammo, but specialty ammo also, of all calibers.

A nice selection of knifes. possibly not the usual made in china stuff.

Novelties like stickers, t-shirts, hats, mugs, etc.

I know it takes a lot of money to do all that, but you asked.

I had a scuba shop in the past, and the previous owner once told me that if I wanted to be a millionaire, I just needed to open a scuba shop with 2 million dollars and soon enough I'll have my million. Gun shop are not much different.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Berks County)

I went from reading area to slaghtinton to check out afboyers, but I had read some good stuff here. Still haven't made trip to Ed's in tamaquwa but made it to sarco and shidas. Where are you thinking about? Forgive the errors on place names please.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    Yes I would go back to a shop if they had new owners. Sometimes things don't change but one never knows unless he gives a try.

Things that most gun shops don't have are accessories. Things like glock trigger packages, sights, springs, other gun parts. I said glock but I would include others as well, at least the ones most popular.

Rifle accessories,we all know that those Ar15 are not well made and they need to be upgraded and accessorized. ;-)

A couple lines of holsters, some low level but also high end holsters.

Lots of mags.

Ammo is also big, not just target ammo, but specialty ammo also, of all calibers.

A nice selection of knifes. possibly not the usual made in china stuff.

Novelties like stickers, t-shirts, hats, mugs, etc.

I know it takes a lot of money to do all that, but you asked.

I had a scuba shop in the past, and the previous owner once told me that if I wanted to be a millionaire, I just needed to open a scuba shop with 2 million dollars and soon enough I'll have my million. Gun shop are not much different.
    I hear you. An area where I think a shop like ours can compete with the big boys is the unusual. We can't buy 10000 units of a blister packed knife and compete but we have a hook-up with some custom builders of muzzle loaders and accessories that includes blades. I'm also thinking that some collectible vintage firearms might go well. It's one thing to buy a NIB gun off the internet, it's something else when it's an antique.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I like to have a good selection of a variety of stuff. My favorite LGS has a few of most types of firearms, a good selection of powders, a decent selection of reloading components (aka, typically has 9mm, 38, 7mm and a few others in stock, with more only an order away), and an onsite gunsmith.

A good LGS must have a good attitude.

If I was you, I would take over operations silently and work all of the kinks out for a few weeks to months, then start pushing out the news aggressively.

(Bucks County)

Let the word get out under new management and explain the policies when you deal with people in the store. Word will get out if you are good.

(Lancaster County)

Suggestion, wear your jack boots every day. But hey, if you do open it, I'll make sure to stop up and give you a critique.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast