Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Act 235 question I havnt seen asked..

I am currently a corrections officer for the state and have completed both a state physical as well as a psychological exam 5 months ago. I am looking to obtain my act 235 to hopefully broaden my horizons beyond the fences and was curious if all that matters or helps in any way. I was also finger printed for the state and received the 4 week training course for being a guard.. Tho I am sure the training isn't worth the paper it's completion certificate is printed on.

I would think it would be asinine for none of that to count for anything. Especially the exams and prints being already in the state system and less than 6 months old..

I dunno if anyone here has any knowledge on this or can direct me in what to do but I am looking to hopefully complete the course next weekend if I can square everything away by then.

I know you need a letter from psp, etc but like I said being in the system should be simple to obtain.. SHOULD BE... But I know how that goes

Anyway I have read through the forums and seen nothing relating to this particular circumstance so I figured I would throw it out there and see what I can get figured out before the 27th

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

19D Cavalry Scout 04-09
    OEF 07-08
    PAZRT Member
    PA Dept of Corrections

Default Re: Act 235 question I havnt seen asked..

Whats the Question? I am a little confused!! Not busting your Balls.......
    Last edited by Daycrawler; September 18th, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Northampton County)

did you chheck psp website or maybe email them.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Whats the Question? I am a little confused!! Not busting your Balls.......
    It seems he wants to know if his previous training/medical/psych evals can count toward his Act 235 requirements and not have to repeat things he's already done.

(Lycoming County)

If the psych was administered recently, the examiner may sign off on it, this avoiding the need to take it again. The same is true for the physical. If the Dr. will sign off on it, then good. A strange thing is that the physical has some specific, and different, requirements then the standard examines.

I am fairly certain that PSP will not look through another agency's database to gather the appropriate information. They will expect you to submit it.

Be safe (and always expand your horizons).

Scott

Yea sorry I wasn't clear with the question, but you got the idea. I wanted to know if anything I have already done would count or matter for the process so as to not have to repeat it and pay for the exams. I will find out if both the psych and doc will sign off (I am sure they will) and as for my fingerprints they should be logged with PSP as that's where they were sent after they were taken.

I have contacted two organizations with upcoming classes asking these same questions and awaiting their response. I appreciate the input and time.

Thanks guys. Any other information, advice on where not to take it (willing to travel since the only one in Centre county is a joke) and what the cost SHOULD be.. I am seeing $450 ATM

Thanks again

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Konachik View Post
    Yea sorry I wasn't clear with the question, but you got the idea. I wanted to know if anything I have already done would count or matter for the process so as to not have to repeat it and pay for the exams. I will find out if both the psych and doc will sign off (I am sure they will) and as for my fingerprints they should be logged with PSP as that's where they were sent after they were taken.

I have contacted two organizations with upcoming classes asking these same questions and awaiting their response. I appreciate the input and time.

Thanks guys. Any other information, advice on where not to take it (willing to travel since the only one in Centre county is a joke) and what the cost SHOULD be.. I am seeing $450 ATM

Thanks again
    Like Swarner stated, if you recently got a physical and mmpi test, your dr's might be able to just sign off on the paperwork and send your previous results in. If it has been a while, you will have to get everything redone, plus will probably get re-printed by the psp, as they send in your application to take the class and part of the packet is a fresh set of prints.

As far as classes go, $450 is bit on the high end. Our local community college runs the classes and I believe they charge $280 or something along those lines.

Good luck with everything.

AG

(Berks County)

You "might" fall into the exemption category for being an officer, but I'm not sure. The exemption is typically for police officers and/or PA State Police. Check the Lethal Weapons Training website for details.

(Clearfield County)

The short answer is no. IF you can get a copy of the MMPI and Psychologist's summary that may meet that section but PSP will not take Corrections training to meet the criteria in whole. The medical requirements of the physical is also different. The DOC operates under a very different use of force than private security so PSP does not accept the classroom or firearms training that DOC provides as it too is not the same qualification course as Act 235.

Question if I have a ACT 235 certified agent card already and have to make a decision on hip replacement. Does this disqualify my agent card due to physical requirement?
    Concerned Agent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast