Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default For those who get tired of shooting at paper...

I have a suggestion...next Easter...buy some of those plastic eggs after Easter at Walmart when they are clearanced at 75% off. Instead of shooting at paper all the time...I will shoot at the plastic eggs. It is a lot of fun because it explodes when it is hit, plus you know that you have a hit on your target. I also use different colored balloons to simulate a hostage scenarios as well. I have made my own steel targets as well...some 8" steel plates or some swinging targets for my rifles. I like to hear the steel when I am shooting 300+ yards.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515
    I have a suggestion...next Easter...buy some of those plastic eggs after Easter at Walmart when they are clearanced at 75% off. Instead of shooting at paper all the time...I will shoot at the plastic eggs. It is a lot of fun because it explodes when it is hit, plus you know that you have a hit on your target. I also use different colored balloons to simulate a hostage scenarios as well. I have made my own steel targets as well...some 8" steel plates or some swinging targets for my rifles. I like to hear the steel when I am shooting 300+ yards.
    I just wish I had a place to shoot where I could shoot at stuff like this. Living in the city sucks sometimes!
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I am sure it does...I have never been a big city fan. Especially Philly...no offense...I cannot stand any of the sports teams...My wife's family are huge eagles fans and I bashed on them for choking again.

Firearms prices are a lot higher in this area as well. Even though I tend to buy most of my firearms online. I like not having to pay sales tax.

(Philadelphia County)

I've shot at baloons and other party stuff before. Lots of fun.

Tin cans are great fun too.

A while ago, the company where I work at threw away a bunch of old computers. I picked up a couple and... made a few ventilation holes on them.

Now that was great fun!

(Allegheny County)

Where do you guys shoot this stuff? On your own land?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy
    One of the peaves at the GPGC was that people shoot up computers and general garbage they dont want, then leave it there for others to clean up.

If you are one of the people who enjoys destroying things, pick them up after yourself! PS. Bowling pins are lots of fun, till some one shoots one with a .22 and the ricochet hits you.

Garbage cans are generally just that when found on a range, Dont shoot them up, I know it makes a great target for those of you who cant hit a regular target at 25 feet, but the jagged edges of the bullet holes are a pain to those who clean the range.

We all look for places that are safe to shoot, when you find one, why not try to keep it safe and clean? Bottles broken and computer monitors, I have even seen propane tanks exploded on the ranges. When will people learn this is exactly why people want to close the ranges down?
    Keep the sport safe, If you want some thing that shows when shot at, use clay birds. set them up on a carboard box with nails and use the cardboard box after to throw away your broken birds.
    Great post man. I hate it too when people leave their trash at the range or anywhere else for that matter.

Another good way to keep things clean, is to get several large heavy duty garbage bags, cut them so you can open them up, then duct tape a bunch of them together (think a huge blanket) and place your "shootables" on top of it.

Once you are done, pick up the big pieces, and the rest gets rolled up with the "blanket".
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515
    Cleanup is a mess though. Too many small bits of plastic for me. Same with balloons.
    Ever try golf balls. Great for .22's. Throw one out and shoot it down the range. Each hit makes the next shot a little further. Less messy too.

I try not to leave a mess when I go to the shooting range...seeing how I dislike having to clean up after anyone else. I never tried the golf ball targets, but the bowling pins are great. At the farm I grew up at...I made some 8" steel plates to shoot and some swinging targets for long range shooting with my rifles. I like hearing the metal when it's hit...so you know if you hit the target. You can also shoot at clay birds too.

(Chester County)

I shoot 5 gallon spackle bucket lids. safe to shoot and you can make them dance. Put them out at 200 and 300 yards. Lots of fun.

(Allegheny County)

I am very tempted to get one of these.. looks like fun. Although I doubt id be able to use it at the range.

http://www.ballistictec.com/Tech-Products-MSTC4.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast