Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PICS Challenge

(Franklin County)

Question PICS Challenge

Hello all,

This is my first post, so please bear with me. If my question has been covered previously, I must have missed it, because I tried to research it before I posted.

Anyway, I attempted recently to purchase a handgun and was denied. I filled out and submitted the challenge form (honestly) and received a letter indicating that I had an outstanding warrant dating back to 1994 for a driving related offence, non felony, in MA.

My question is this, the letter states that I have 30 days from the date of the letter (8/29/13) to respond with any supporting documentation for the PSP to consider. They never mailed the letter until 9/5 according to the date on the envelope and when I called about it I was told that the person was on vacation and intended to mail it before she left but it never went out. I know I cleared up the matter back in 1998 and am writing the judge to provide documentation that the matter is clear. I have recently transferred my prior state's drivers license without incident as well as gone through a very detailed background check for a recent job I obtained and nothing came up.

My question is, that 30 days might not be long enough to resolve the matter and provide the PSP what I wish to provide for a reversal. What happens when the 30 days expires? Does the process start all over again? Do I have no recourse at all? I'm confused, as the letter doesn't state. Also, it's funny how they can tell us we have to respond within a certain time frame when they can just use the excuse that they are backed up and can violate the time frames delineated on their own forms. wtf?

I'd appreciate any information you can provide.

Default Re: PICS Challenge

You just have to START the challenge within the 30 days. A properly-worded cover letter will help.

The PICS folks are human beings, they really aren't out to get you, and they don't set impossible deadlines. I've worked with them many, many times.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You just have to START the challenge within the 30 days. A properly-worded cover letter will help.
    Thank you for the quick response. Will the cover letter suffice for formally starting the challenge? I planned on writing a letter to accompany the documentation I will receive, but don't know if or when I will get that. I have yet to mail/fax the judge in MA the letter I drafted tonight and have no idea when he will respond.

I guess I'm asking whether I should draft a letter to the PSP indicating that I am in the process of obtaining the docs to submit for a reversal. Will that be sufficient to formally start my challenge?

(Franklin County)

Also, will this issue prohibit me from renting a firearm at a range for target practice? This is my first attempt to ever purchase a gun and/or go to a range. The setback is discouraging. I want to go about the right way and take a class on proper handling/cleaning etc as well as obtain a concealed carry permit down the line.

(Westmoreland County)

The 2 ranges in our area don't do a background check to rent a gun. You give them your license to hold while using it at their facility and get your license back when you return it. I can't see them doing a background check just to rent you a gun.

(Franklin County)

Happy to say that my warrant has been dismissed/cleared and just waiting for the reversal from PSP. I hope it doesn't take too long. I've found a small indoor range close to my home, but don't think I can shoot my new AK there.

Anyone know of any public outdoor ranges in the Harrisburg area? I'm in Chambersburg and would be willing to travel an hour if need be.