Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Mount Pocono - no on property firearm discharge ordenance?

Hello folks, I am looking at a property in the township of Mount Pocono and just found out that there is a no firearm discharge on property? No hunting either... it's a 30+ acre property... Can anyone re-confirm that this is so? Are there any ranges nearby - the property is near 611/940 intersection.

Thank you,

Max.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mount Pocono - no on property firearm discharge ordenance?

Quote Originally Posted by mracer71 View Post
    Hello folks, I am looking at a property in the township of Mount Pocono and just found out that there is a no firearm discharge on property? No hunting either... it's a 30+ acre property... Can anyone re-confirm that this is so? Are there any ranges nearby - the property is near 611/940 intersection.

Thank you,

Max.
    SGL 127 down 611 at the cross of 423
    Pocono pistol club
    Assorted other near by ranges indoor and out.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    SGL 127 down 611 at the cross of 423
    Pocono pistol club
    Assorted other near by ranges indoor and out.
    Dennis, thank you much. I'll be looking into it further. Just bummed out about the zoning rules.

(Wayne County)

Ya don't have to buy it. What in the hell you want to be in that area in the first place? Complete mad house in summer.

(Lackawanna County)

I hate to say this, but with all the out of state yahoos who take up residence in and around Mt. Pocono, without such an ordinance, you'd have gang banger wanna-be's shooting their sideways held handguns on their 1/8th of an acre rented lots.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

There's quite a few properties in the area without those problems.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I hate to say this, but with all the out of state yahoos who take up residence in and around Mt. Pocono, without such an ordinance, you'd have gang banger wanna-be's shooting their sideways held handguns on their 1/8th of an acre rented lots.
    That's where common sense gun laws come into play. If you have 5+ acres and an appropriate backstop, I see no problem with shooting on ones property. The ordinance should be written in such a way that it allows for it to be done safely.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by mracer71 View Post

Thank you,

Max.
    The last time my address ended in Mt. Pocono was 1968. I have not missed it.

(Monroe County)

Holy crap! Mount Pocono? Run away as fast as you can!

It's known locally here in the Poconos as "Mount Doom". See houses up there for sale with the prices shown on a sign stuck on the front lawn. There are lines crossed through the sign price with constant mark downs. The owners are desperate to bail out of Mount Doom.

As a location to be . . .Mount Pocono totally SUCKS! The weather up there is lousy even in summer. There's an airport on the top of Mount Pocono that's socked in with fog and mist much of the time. It's a stupid place for an airport.

For some weird reason there are many stores up there on Mount Pocono which is the only reason I occasionally go up there. Once in awhile, I'll climb up route 611 to the Shop-Rite Supermarket. A couple of times just about a mile from the center of Mount Pocono before the overhead railroad bridge, the mountain's always pissed off weather god decides to strike. It was a clear day down below . . . but up on Mount Pocono you're in a howling wind driven white-out. Making to the supermarket it is an ice slippery struggle getting across the parking lot into the store. The constantly roaring arctic blast wind rips the air right out of a person's lungs. Out of control shopping carts are always screaming across the sloping parking lot propelled by icy hurricane force winds.

Having lived in dank and stormy New England most of my life, I never encountered such a miserable place or anything equal to Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania. In talking with local people on this subject, there seems to be complete agreement with my assessment.

We are here down the mountain south of dismal Mount Pocono by about 8-miles. This place sucks too, being rocky, barren and naturally hostile. The Poconos in general is a crap region. Everybody I know around here is trying to get out but we're all stuck due to the perpetually depressed real estate market. Have property up in New Hampshire but except for NO sales and NO income tax, the climate is sort of similar to the Poconos. The rich soil in the Monadnock Valley of NH, unlike the Poconos is at least good for growing a garden. Thing is . . . for about two-months each spring, southern New Hampshire is cursed by locust-like clouds of black flies. It must one of the left over plagues from biblical era Egypt. The gawd damn insects go for your eyes, fly up your nose and some of the them will take the meat in chunks right off your body.

If you want to live in the "real" Pennsylvania, go south away from the Poconos. We have friends down in Lancaster County and compared to this place, it seems like a warm lush paradise with gardens and much greenery. They love it there and keep trying to get us down that way. Wish I could leave tomorrow.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; September 13th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Monroe County)

I live in wonderfull and scenic Tobyhanna , yeah Mt Pocono does suck when the locusts come west. But I have met a lot of great locals and the locusts have started to bail and head back east and there ate so many empty properties it is sort of Erie at times. You can alway tell a locust when hey get all wide eyed when they see you OC. So many folks move out here and then can't take the commute to NJ/NY and leave. The s hooks are slowly dieing due to low enrollment and high taxes. I live in a pretty good area but every so often I hear a Mag dump and shake my head.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast