Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Mount Pocono - no on property firearm discharge ordenance?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    I live in wonderfull and scenic Tobyhanna , yeah Mt Pocono does suck when the locusts come west. But I have met a lot of great locals and the locusts have started to bail and head back east and there ate so many empty properties it is sort of Erie at times. You can alway tell a locust when hey get all wide eyed when they see you OC. So many folks move out here and then can't take the commute to NJ/NY and leave. The s hooks are slowly dieing due to low enrollment and high taxes. I live in a pretty good area but every so often I hear a Mag dump and shake my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilaw61 View Post
    Just one man's opinion! I live here it's not as bad as you say, other than the gangs that run Pocono Farms, (Stay away from there) The rents are cheap,
    I think you mean PCP haven't see all that much with gangs running PFE.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    I think you mean PCP haven't see all that much with gangs running PFE.
    C'mon now. That is why they renamed it "A Pocono Country Place" to get rid of the negative stigma. Just rainbows and unicorns at APCP.

(Monroe County)

They can rename it all they like but the best name will always be "Poconon County Prison" the stuff that goes on in there is epic but not advertised. While there are a couple of good sections the cell blocks ruin it.

(Monroe County)

I agree with a lot of what has been said here about Mount Pocono (too many different comments to respond individually). And, of course, about what has been said about surrounding communities and how that affects the Borough.

In general Mount Pocono is quite small, and we have very few lots of more than 5 acres with the kind of safety zone (150 yards) required for the discharging of firearms.

Nevertheless, if opportunities exist for such activities, we in Borough government aren't against revisiting our zoning ordinance from time to time to better reflect the needs of our residents. Do contact me if you are a resident (or potential resident) and this might be something you are interested in looking closer at.

Fred Courtright
    Mayor, Borough of Mount Pocono

(Carbon County)

well there you go, a mayor that will listen to the people. he has my vote

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Courtright View Post
    I agree with a lot of what has been said here about Mount Pocono (too many different comments to respond individually). And, of course, about what has been said about surrounding communities and how that affects the Borough.

In general Mount Pocono is quite small, and we have very few lots of more than 5 acres with the kind of safety zone (150 yards) required for the discharging of firearms.

Nevertheless, if opportunities exist for such activities, we in Borough government aren't against revisiting our zoning ordinance from time to time to better reflect the needs of our residents. Do contact me if you are a resident (or potential resident) and this might be something you are interested in looking closer at.

Fred Courtright
    Mayor, Borough of Mount Pocono
    The 150 yard safety zone applies to hunting not target shooting unless the boro has an ordinance that specifies that also. Target shooting is not regulated by the game commission.

(Monroe County)

Many thanks for the info. I believe that the Borough has such a restriction in the ordinance now regarding the safety zone, but the difference between target shooting and hunting is an important distinction which I *don't* believe is currently being made.

Full disclosure: I'm not a gun owner, and in fact have never fired a gun. But ordinances are about balancing interests of safety, neighborhoods, and property rights--if the ordinance tips too far against a property owner's use of his own property without any kind of safety component, well, we should probably take a look at it.

Anyway, I appreciate discussions like this. I hope I never get to the point of thinking I could never learn from good-faith, passionate discussions of issues such as in this thread, and on this site.

(Wayne County)

Fred,

Just curious where did you grow up?

(Monroe County)

My family is mostly in Ohio--I was born in Lorain, and much of my family still lives in Lorain County.

I don't know if you've ever been out there, but Lorain is very similar to Scranton: Mostly blue collar people of various ethnicities. In Lorain, they worked in the shipyard, the steel mill, or the auto plants.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345