Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Mount Pocono - no on property firearm discharge ordenance?

Mt. Pocono BOROUGH has a no discharge ordnance. I know the townships bordering Mt. Pocono BOROUGH are Coolbaugh, Paradise, Pocono and Tobyhanna.

Not familiar with Mount Pocono TOWNSHIP.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    I live in wonderfull and scenic Tobyhanna , yeah Mt Pocono does suck when the locusts come west. But I have met a lot of great locals and the locusts have started to bail and head back east and there ate so many empty properties it is sort of Erie at times. You can alway tell a locust when hey get all wide eyed when they see you OC. So many folks move out here and then can't take the commute to NJ/NY and leave. The s hooks are slowly dieing due to low enrollment and high taxes. I live in a pretty good area but every so often I hear a Mag dump and shake my head.
    Locust. Excellent.Wish we could exterminate some of these locust. You don't need to move to far south....just south of 80. The locust don't seem to bother us south of 80.
    .”Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance" George Washington

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DWG1 View Post
    Locust. Excellent.Wish we could exterminate some of these locust. You don't need to move to far south....just south of 80. The locust don't seem to bother us south of 80.
    Mt. Pocono, PCP, The Crossings and the 'Burgs' are the bait that keeps the rest of the county 'pest free'.

Now if we can get their cars programmed to travel East only .... once they hit the Jersey Shore, we could call them lemmings.

(Monroe County)

There is a Pocono Township or a Mount Pocono Borough. You need to do more homework. Is this by ordinance or deed restriction? HOA?
    Last edited by Exbiker; September 14th, 2013 at 05:50 AM.

(Monroe County)

He said it was 30 acres .... anything that big in Mt Pocono has already been paved over for a parking lot

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DWG1 View Post
    I think there is also some type of force field between the Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro exits on 380 that repels them as well. Maybe that extra 5-10 minute drive is just too much to add to the commute to "the city."

(Wayne County)

mracer71, don't listen to all this horseshit. The area isn't THAT bad. Most folks that are grumpy just remember when the area was a sleepy little mountain town surrounded by forest and only occasionally frequented by tourists.

In the past 25 years there was a major influx of people from mostly the NYC area and with it came all of the problems that travel with folks from a mainly urban area. Gangs, drugs, murders, you name it, we got it. Whereas, before this, the largest problem the area had was incest and domestic/child abuse.

Here's a link to the Mt. Pocono borough website http://borough.mountpocono.pa.us/

If you go under Administration, you can pull up a map of borough boundaries and see where the property that you are looking at is located. I searched the site and could find nothing re: firearms and the only hit a query of "discharge" brought up was about sewage. I would call their zoning office and ask the zoning officer directly. I can't remember his name at the moment, but I've worked with him on occasion over the years and he seemed nice enough.

Since the site is located near the corner of 611/940, you should know that this is very close to a major subdivision called A Pocono Country Place or PCP for short. PCP is largely the reason that many folks dislike the area any longer. It has gone from a community of mostly vacation homes to what many folks would consider to be a ghetto. There are some very nice houses and some very nice people in this community, but here is the epicenter of the urban issues. I know realtors who will not even show homes in this community. Surprisingly, it is a very large development. Just recently, the population of PCP just exceeded the population of both Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg boroughs combined. Take that information as you will. It is just advisory. Being from the Philly area, you may be more comfortable with the throngs of humanity than some of us more rural folk.

The biggest issue that I would caution you on in the area since you are looking to purchase property is wetlands. This area is loaded with wetlands. People who own properties up here know that there are wetlands on their property, yet they are always surprisingly mute when it comes to sales time, despite the disclosure requirments. Prior to closing, it may be wise to ask the seller if the wetlands and streams on the property have been mapped and surveyed and, if not, it may be worth $500-$1000 to hire a consultant to check out the area for you ahead of time to see if there is any buildable land. I've seen MANY people over the years buy properties in that area that were completely undevelopable due to being wetland or due to being unable to perc for septic and be stuck with the property until it forecloses for failure to pay taxes.

Wetlands on a lot can be really cool and an asset in my mind, but they can be a real PIA when you have to deal with the alphabet soup of agencies that regulate them. Just thought you should be warned on this is all.

Good luck with it and let us know about the shooting thing once you talk to the township.

ETA: And PS, the weather here isn't that bad. Some of us actually enjoy it. It keeps all the panty-waisted, mountain man wannabes inside watching Duck Dynasty while the rest of us enjoy the great out-of-doors in relative solitude.
    Last edited by Sandcut; September 14th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I think there is also some type of force field between the Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro exits on 380 that repels them as well. Maybe that extra 5-10 minute drive is just too much to add to the commute to "the city."
    No force field just check out Eagle Lake in Covington township commrade. Nothing but NY and NJ plates.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    No force field just check out Eagle Lake in Covington township commrade. Nothing but NY and NJ plates.
    There are lots of cars with front license plates due to Eagle Lake, but they are of a different ilk than those who seem to be attacked to Monroe County. I don't know if you were being punny with "commrade," but I swear some of them see "MOSCOW" on a map of Pa and come here because it reminds them of their Motherland.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Hey! Don't go giving anyone any ideas. Gouldsboro's fine just like it is. The only critters that I need to carry a gun for here are the four-legged variety.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast