Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Default Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsman Club

Hello! Does anyone belong to or known anything about the Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Soortsman Club? I joined a buddy of mine tonight at the Carrick Clun and I liked it, but they only have a 100 yard rifle range are. I would like other options and it looks like DMLSC has various options including a plinking range.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsman Club

they aren't accepting new members right now

(Allegheny County)

They have ranges out to 200 meters. They also have some pretty strict rules you will want to look over before trying to join.
    The Lord Bless You

(Washington County)

Check their website here. There is everything you need to know about the club and it's features.

http://www.mdi.net/dml/

Keep monitoring their website....They will announce on their website if and when they are accepting new members, but as mentioned above, no new members are being accepted now.

Once they do admit members, it's a matter of attending a membership meeting and asking a couple of guys to sponsor you. (not difficult at all if you are friendly and shake a few hands) then some low hurdles such as mandatory safety seminars and work party participation.

They are serious and strict about range safety and club rules. It is a gated club, with many members, but is not usually crowded.

Good Luck!

I'm a member there, the strict safety rules is what attracted me there, that and my dad has been a member for ages.

They aren't accepting members right now, we're over 1000 last i heard. It should open again in the spring...

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, Guys. I have been to the website and the facilities sound solid and rules strict (which doesn't bother me as there are a lot of idiots in this world). I guess I can join another club and wait until they open up, it's not like it is expensive to join these places!

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
    Thanks, Guys. I have been to the website and the facilities sound solid and rules strict (which doesn't bother me as there are a lot of idiots in this world). I guess I can join another club and wait until they open up, it's not like it is expensive to join these places!

Thanks!
    Whatever you do, I'd steer clear of Library Sportsmens. They have some pretty nonsensical rules - no loaded guns allowed anywhere but the firing line (i.e. no concealed carry allowed on club grounds), rifles limited to 1 round max, pistols and revolvers to 5 rounds, no silhouette targets allowed, only bullseye type targets permitted.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirksterg30 View Post
    Whatever you do, I'd steer clear of Library Sportsmens. They have some pretty nonsensical rules - no loaded guns allowed anywhere but the firing line (i.e. no concealed carry allowed on club grounds), rifles limited to 1 round max, pistols and revolvers to 5 rounds, no silhouette targets allowed, only bullseye type targets permitted.
    I can attest to this. It can be quite annoying too (especially the 1 round at a time in a rifle).

On the plus side, if you live in the South Hills, it's only a few minutes drive from most places, and the indoor pistol range is quite nice. Not to mention, membership is currently open, and you don't need a sponsor.....

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirksterg30 View Post
    Holy crap, a club that has worse rules than the SGL ranges? That's unbelievable. Sounds like a group of good old boys who don't want anyone to join their private little club anyway.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Holy crap, a club that has worse rules than the SGL ranges? That's unbelievable. Sounds like a group of good old boys who don't want anyone to join their private little club anyway.
    I have a friend who joined there; he said during the orientation a number of members went out of their way to emphasize they are not into "tactical" shooting, but rather marksmanship (I thought marksmanship was important for defensive shooting as well).

In addition, the member who was giving the indoor orientation said the following, and didn't take too kindly to my friend correcting him:

* I have a carry permit but I don't carry a gun because I don't want to shoot anyone
    * the 5.7 cartridge was designed to go through police body armor
    * the carry permit in PA is rather limited; you can't carry in a supermarket, for instance.

Whole 'lotta derp right there if you ask me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast