Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Kel-Tec SUB-2000 questions... Or: My stimulus cheque arrived!

So I'm looking to stimulate the local economy, and I'm trying to decide between a PLR and a SUB-2000, the sub-2000 is what I'm leaning towards because for one, I can get it in 9mm and save having to keep stock of more types of ammo, two, I can get it to use the standard Glock magazines I have so many of, and three: it folds up for easy storage/transport (nosy neighbors...)...

Anyone out there actually *have* one of these? Anybody know why they specifically say no aluminum case rounds?

Just curious, if you've got one, or ever owned one, or know a lot about them, chime in.

Thanks!!!

--Josh / NoPegs

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec SUB-2000 questions... Or: My stimulus cheque arrived!

I have the 40 glock version and it's the only pitol caliber carbine i would consider owning due to the folding feature and the glock mag feature. otherwise pistol caliber carbines [I.E. Extended pistols] are a bad bargain.

The KT gun is lots of fun though. Mine has been reliable and has traveled with me quite often.

(Montgomery County)

I have had 2... one that used S&W 5906 mags
    It was a fantastic gun that i was stupid to sell.

Sooooooooo, I traded a guy an SKS for one, again in 9mm, this time using Glock 9mm mags.

again, works perfectly, and it, like the other is ultra dependable, and fun to shoot. Its a great little carbine, its accurate, and frankly, I put my earlier one thru hell, and it stuck together fine, and was accurate.

I see no real downside in buying one, especially if it shares mags with a gun you already own.

as for the aluminum case ammo, the gun can tear them up, and deposit fragments in the action.
    I've had other guns do this with aluminum cased blazer ammo, and it can really stop up a gun.

BTW, it works GREAT with the cheap Wolf steel case 9mm
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    I have the 40 glock version and it's the only pitol caliber carbine i would consider owning due to the folding feature and the glock mag feature. otherwise pistol caliber carbines [I.E. Extended pistols] are a bad bargain.

The KT gun is lots of fun though. Mine has been reliable and has traveled with me quite often.
    Any extra accessories on it? Is it worth tossing a scope or red-dot onto or does the folding nature of the rifle *and* the scope-mount kinda put too much wiggle in adjusting anything?

Thanks for your input!

(Philadelphia County)

I bought one in 9mm as an impulse buy and it ended up being one of my favorite firearms. PLus, you can get the 33round glock mags, and that thing will rock the range all day. I absolutely frigging love it. I noticed with mine that it'll start malfunctioning after about 1,500+ rounds without cleaning. Other than that, I've never had a single problem with it.

As far as getting the 9mm to save on ammo.. thats not very likely. Its like Pringles, once you pop, you can't stop.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I bought one in 9mm as an impulse buy and it ended up being one of my favorite firearms. PLus, you can get the 33round glock mags, and that thing will rock the range all day. I absolutely frigging love it. I noticed with mine that it'll start malfunctioning after about 1,500+ rounds without cleaning. Other than that, I've never had a single problem with it.

As far as getting the 9mm to save on ammo.. thats not very likely. Its like Pringles, once you pop, you can't stop.
    My first thought were "holy crap, something to do with my 33 round mags other than make my G26 look totally freaky." I'm with you on the 33s!

I just meant that I only have to schlep around 9mm ammo instead of having to carry a few bricks of 9 and a few bricks of 556 My range bag is heavy enough as it is.

Thanks for the positive input!

(Allegheny County)

I was wondering something about those, the charging handle is under the buttstock. Does it move when the gun fires or sit still like the AR? I was worried about it snagging something.

(Montgomery County)

its attached to the bolt group, and it moves with the bolt.

its unlikely to snag on anything.

just keep yer hand out of the way

someone was making a low profile "hockeypuck style" but i cant find the maker now.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

NoPegs,
    If it makes you feel any better about the potential purchase, I regretted not buying one of those after I picked up my(now sold)Hi-Point carbine.
    Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Like you, I have plenty of Glock mags. I could have shared with the Kel-Tec.
    The HP carbine only holds 10 rounds, and I never could get more than 9 rounds in mine. They are equally ugly, but aside from that, there's no comparison.

Just buy it.
    PAFOA GROUP SHOOT & BACON FEST! - was yesterday! June 15th - Click for info!

(Pike County)

Smile Re: Kel-Tec SUB-2000 questions... Or: My stimulus cheque arrived!

I am very happy with my Sub. It's one for S&W 59 mags.
    A friend also has one, and he put the Kel-tec scope mount on his. The folding mount is a POS.
    I have the forend tac rail on my Sub, and a Surefire tac light on it. Nice compact little package. I also have the sling kit on it. I put the Kel-tec extra mag carrier on the butt, it clamps to the plasstic buttplate. For a gun that weighs 4 lbs, the mag carrier is made of HEAVY metal, and adds much weight. You also can not put the 30 rd. plus mags in it, as they will hit the gripframe.
    Try it, you'll like it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast