Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Hunting Question From Non-Hunter

To preface, I am not a hunter, I just have questions, I 100% support hunting and question not a single motive. please don't take ANY of this as a snarky attack, that's not my style.

I don't hunt but I have a question for the hunters here. I understand killing a deer you can eat the meat and save the skin and all that. I know a bear you can so whatever (eat, stuff, keep head) Elk I would say you eat. What about fox, squirrel, wild bore, groundhog and all that. I see you can hunt that but I assume you don't eat it and do what, let it for nature to eat?

I am not all all questioning hunting, please don't think that is what I am getting at, I was just wondering if anything is done with such animals or is it just the thrill of the hunt and all that. Again, I 100% support your right to hunt but I know squat about it and have always wondered. Thanks!

Please don't make me regret asking, I am honestly curious.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hunting Question From Non-Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    What about fox, squirrel, wild bore, groundhog and all that. I see you can hunt that but I assume you don't eat it and do what, let it for nature to eat?
    Squirrel, boar, and groundhog can all be eaten. I've tried all three:
    --Boar = awesome
    --Squirrel = so so. not great but not the best
    --Groundhog = downright terrible

Fox are mainly used for their pelt and I've never heard of them being consumed.

I personally only hunt what I prefer to eat: deer and turkey.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Berks County)

Okay, so what do you do with an animal that has been shot but you don't intend to skin or stuff or eat? Again, I am not being sarcastic, just understanding something I haven't a clue about. Thanks!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Okay, so what do you do with an animal that has been shot but you don't intend to skin or stuff or eat?
    Again, I personally don't kill what I don't eat.

When I was young my dad and I used to give most of our small game to my dad's one friend who would use it. We certainly kept all rabbits and grouse as they are great eating. Other small game were given to my dad's buddy.

Other hunters may chime in with their opinions & experience, but for me I eat what I kill or I give it to someone who will put it to good use.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Erie County)

......I would say you eat. What about fox, squirrel, wild bore, groundhog and all that. I see you can hunt that but I assume you don't eat it and do what, let it for nature to eat?.....
    Fox and other furbearers are not eaten. The predators like fox, coyote, racoon, should not be eaten. Others are usually just nasty to eat (skunk, muskrat, oppossum, etc.)

I've never had wild boar but I like squirrel, deer and turkey. I hunt what I can either eat or use to make a pelt but with one exception...groundhogs.

Groundhog holes contribute to the early demise of my haying equipment so I dispatch the whistle pigs with prejudice and toss the carcass aside for the coyotes and turkey vultures. I did see a redtail hawk eating on a groundhog and once about fve years ago had a bald eagle feeding on one. So they don't really go to waste; just get recycled.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Bucks County)

To preface, I am not a hunter, I just have questions, I 100% support hunting and question not a single motive. please don't take ANY of this as a snarky attack, that's not my style.

I don't hunt but I have a question for the hunters here. I understand killing a deer you can eat the meat and save the skin and all that. I know a bear you can so whatever (eat, stuff, keep head) Elk I would say you eat. What about fox, squirrel, wild bore, groundhog and all that. I see you can hunt that but I assume you don't eat it and do what, let it for nature to eat?

I am not all all questioning hunting, please don't think that is what I am getting at, I was just wondering if anything is done with such animals or is it just the thrill of the hunt and all that. Again, I 100% support your right to hunt but I know squat about it and have always wondered. Thanks!

Please don't make me regret asking, I am honestly curious.
    Squirrel people eat
    Fox population control helps produce more rabbits birds etc
    Coyote same as fox
    Ground hog not eat same as fox
    Wild bore good eats!

Groundhogs taste good when you do them right, soak overnight in brine then treat them like a rabbit. They eat the same things.
    Some fur bearers meat can be used to bait traps, or fed to the other wild critters, vultures have to eat too.. The teeth can be used as decorations on primitive gear. I have not tasted Raccoon but I have read that boiling them then BBQ these taste good. Down south there are more people who are traditionally more receptive to eating fur bearers.
    There are recipes for most game animals on the internet. But most hunters usually only hunt animals they can use or eat.
    Down here in SEPA we have too many coyotes, raccoons, foxes skunks and opposums, we have an under reported rabies epidemic due to little or no hunting or trapping pressure to keep the numbers of these animals down, and rabies spreads rapidly. My dog was attacked by a rabid fox a few years ago, I had to shoot it to get it to let go of her back leg. No I did not eat the fox, nor do I recommend eating any furbearers from this area..
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Everything you listed can be eaten if prepared and cooked properly.
    Predators can be eaten. Doesn't mean they taste good.
    I bet some of us wouldn't taste half bad.

Americans have a lot of prejudices when it comes to what they will or won't eat.
    Lewis and Clark ate wolf and dog.
    Last edited by God's Country; September 11th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

Smile Re: Hunting Question From Non-Hunter

I've had rabbit as well as bear sausages and bear salami. Bear meat is actually a very popular and tasty Russian ethnic delicacy popular among Russian hunters and the salami, although chewy and gamey, tastes delicious when seasoned and done right.

(Lycoming County)

I generally only hunt what I like to eat: deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, grouse,and pheasant. I will dispatch dirt pigs and pigeons on my in-law. Ground hog holes can damage equipment and livestock. Pigeons make a mess in the barn and can spread disease. Other than that I see no reason to kill something that I have no use for. I don't think it is ethical to kill something if your not going to use it for something or it is not damaging anything and i'm pretty sure most hunters on here would share that same feeling.

I quit hunting bear several years ago because of this. I don't care for bear meat and don't feel the need to kill one and have it go to waste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast